Chapter Twenty One

Tess's POV Today was the anniversary of our father's death

Tess's POV
Today was the anniversary of our father's death. It was hard for all of us, especially Carmen. For some reason, she and dad were always closer.

"Should we call mum?" Carmen asks.

"You can, I ain't," I say.

Yasmin sighs. "She would be hurting today Tess."

I glare at Yasmin. "She told me father would hate the women I have become."

"She didn't mean it," Carmen argues. "She was just upset."

"Stop sticking up for her," I growl. "There's something wrong with her and you two are always beating around the bush about it."

"We aren't beating around the bush," Yasmin says. "She's our mother Tess."

"She hasn't been a mother since father died," I hiss. "I understand she lost the love of her life, but we lost him too."

I storm off and head to the football field. I start running laps, trying to get the tension out of my body.

"Tess," I hear my father's voice. "Remember what I told you, when you're mad at someone you love, be careful at what you say because your mind gets angry but your heart still cares."

I stop dead in my tracks and rub at my chest painfully. "I can't breathe,' I whisper. I fall to my knees not even giving a shit that the ground was a little muddy.

I hear footsteps but pay no attention to them. Someone sits beside me and I look over to see Harley. "Hey," he whispers.

"Did Carmen send you out here?" I ask.

"No," he answers. "I was with Aaron and saw you running. I then realised it's the anniversary of your dad's death today."

"Yeah," I say. "Your dad died too didn't he?"

"Yeah," Harley answers. "I was eight."

"Shit that's young," I mutter.

"My older brother Austin took on the fatherly role for me," he states. "He was only eleven when my dad died."

Do you still talk to your mum?" I ask.

"We talk every day," Harley says. "When he first died she did fall into a very deep depression, but she realised how it affected her sons and got the help she needed."

"Our mum went crazy," I say. "She believed dad was still alive even though he wasn't. Then tried to kill herself multiple times to join him in heaven."

"Jesus," Harley mutters. "Weren't you guys like thirteen?"

"We were," I murmur. "Yasmin and Carmen always say she's our mother and she's just going through a hard time because she lost the love of her life. We lost him too though Harley and we needed our mother." I look away as the tears fall. "I needed my mum."