Chapter Thirty Nine

Tess's POVI forgot how to breathe

Tess's POV
I forgot how to breathe.

How did I let Logan convince me to meet my mum?

That's right, I got an orgasm brain.

"Is this your childhood home?" Logan asks as we walk up the driveway.

"No, mum sold that one," I answer. "We moved to Texas when dad got sick."

"So how did you end up back here?" Logan asks.

"Texas had too many memories," I state. Logan squeezes my hand and I lead him to the front door. I unlock it and we enter a weird foreign smell.

"Does it always smell like this?" Logan asks.

"I've never smelled this in my life," I say. "Mum!?"

No response.

We search the entire house and find nothing. "Let's check the basement," I say. "Mum tends to go down there when she thinks of dad too much."

I open the hatch and see that the light is on down there and the stench is coming from this area too.

I go first and jump down the last step while Logan closes the hatch. We stop mid-step when we see a bench with a guy tied up to it. Dead due to the blood dripping from his stomach.

"Oh my god," Logan croaks.

"Why does my mum have a dead body in her basement?" I question dryly.

Logan gets out his phone and calls the police. I don't touch anything and we head up back into the living room.

Police show up in ten minutes and tape the area. I watch as they bring the dead guy out and into the ambulance.

"D-do you know who he is?" I ask.

"His name was Dane Heather," Officer Bent says. "He was thirty-two and a teleworker."

"Do you know where your mother is Tess?" Officer Charlie asks.

"I haven't spoken to her in two months," I answer. "We had a falling out."

"Did you know about what she did in the basement?" Officer Bent asks.

"You think my mum killed him?" I whisper.

"It's her house," Officer Charlie says.

I start to shake and Logan wraps me in his arms. "Breath," he whispers. "Inhale, exhale."

"You kids should head back to school," Officer Bent says.

"I'm not leaving till my mum gets here," I snap.

It was such a coincidence that her Suzuki pulls into the driveway minutes later. "What's going on?" Mum asks. "Tess, what are you doing here?"

"Your daughter found a dead body in your basement," Officer Bent says. "Come with us, Miss Baker we will question you down at the station."