09┃heart transplant gone wrong

S2 EP25

[CW: gunshot]

"WHY ARE THEY ALL IN the hallway?" Meredith questioned as she tied up her hair.

"Overflow from the ER."

"A bloke went rogue and shot up a restaurant," Norah shook her head at the mention of it.

"I heard he got away," George added.

The ER was flooded with patients; even the hallways were full with gurneys lined up against the walls. Interns and residents were busy tending to patients in need; nurses were running around getting medications and tools. The place was in complete chaos.

Norah had just finished suturing a little girl's arm, where the girl chewed on her bottom lip and did not let out a cry throughout the whole process. The intern rewarded her with some candies, and the girl's parents thanked her while they themselves were getting treated in a trauma room.

When Burke passed through the trauma room, the cooler box in his hand caught her eye. She recognised it at once-transplant. She immediately ripped off her gloves and caught up to him, eagerly wanting to join in on a transplant case then getting stuck in the ER.

"Forget it, Karev. I've already asked," Cristina groaned as Alex, too, had noticed Burke, who was on his way out of the ER. She saw Norah, who trailed behind him, excusing herself through the many ER staff. "Wait, sweetheart, not you too-"

Alex did not hesitate to run after Burke, and Cristina followed suit. She groaned at her two friends, who were desperate to join in on the cardiothoracic attending's surgery. "It's not gonna happen!"

The three interns made their way up to the rooftop, where Burke had just stepped onto the helicopter.

"Dr Burke!" Norah shouted, walking up to the helicopter under the strong wind.

"I heard you were getting a heart," Alex noted. "Can I..." he trailed off and glanced over at Norah, "Can we go with you?"

"I asked first!" Cristina scoffed.

"You two didn't get assigned any gunshot cases?" Burke questioned.

"Well, yeah, but if you had put me on this when I asked, I would've been free."

"I didn't," Norah raised her hand, "I'm not assigned anything. I'm free."

"No, she does wonderful sutures," Cristina interjected unamusingly. "And he's on the gynie squad!"

"Not if you put me on this transplant," Alex stated firmly. "Please."

The attending gave in with a sigh. "Lawrence, Karev, let's go."

"You can't be serious," Cristina stared at him in disbelief. The two other interns' faces beamed up as they quickly climbed onto the helicopter.

"Whoo! See you later, Yang. Whoo!"

"Sorry, Cristina-have fun!"

The door closed after them, and the two interns buckled up on their seats. Soon, the helicopter began to depart from the hospital's rooftop. Norah looked through the window to see Cristina glaring at them as they took off.

"So, who's the lucky patient?" Alex queried.

"Denny Duquette."

Norah's eyes widened slightly before she glanced at her fellow intern-Alex looked sick.

❦ ❦ ❦

"WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED to my donor?" Burke demanded the surgeons just as the three of them had rushed into the OR.