86┃i'll live

[CW: mentions of death - Norah will be going through a depressive episode (it won't be too in detail)]

S9 EP2

IN THE HOSPITAL IN BOISE, Norah's eyes fluttered open.

The walls were a shade she did not recognise, and the air smelled different. Wherever she was, it was cold.

She was being moved-that she could vaguely make out from the clashing noises and the quick but heavy footsteps echoing in her ears.

"Dr Lawrence... have internal bl... into surgery..."

She could not make out the whole sentence, only parts of it.

Golden sand-

The faint outline of someone's face moved away from her sight, and she squinted out of reflex. The lights were glowing brightly then dim in repeat through above her-oh, isn't this familiar?

Humid air-

She could faintly feel the pain coming from her abdomen... inside her abdomen. I'm probably bleeding out from the inside. What an interesting way to die, she thought bitterly.

Bright cloudless morning-

But before her mind could wander off any further, she saw something covering over her face and smelled something... sweet?

All she knew was the next second, everything went dark, and she fell into slumber.

She finally got her sleep.

❦ ❦ ❦

THE NEXT TIME NORAH woke up, she could not feel any pain-she could not feel anything. The morphine drip next to her explained the first part, but the empty hollow in her chest could not be filled.

She heard a soft shuffle in her patient room, and her gaze slowly moved towards the sound. Jackson was walking towards her from the armchair with Kai in his arms.

Even the little boy could not make the hollow go away.

"H-How's..." she coughed-no blood this time-but her voice was hoarse, and her throat was uncomfortably dry.

"Sloan's still in surgery," Jackson informed her while he brought the water cup and straw in front of her. "They say he has a cardiac-"

"Stop," she grunted out after a few large sips of the water, cutting off his words. "I-I don't wanna know. I just want..."

Jackson lowered the boy to her reach, and she could feel the tears in her eyes for being able to see her son again. Yet the hollow still could not be filled.

Kai stirred a little in his mother's hold before he broke into a weep; the cries that filled the room shattered her from the inside.

"T-Take him away," Norah's voice came out toneless as Jackson stared back at her in worry and confusion.

"He could be hungry-" he tried to reason, but she cut him off again.

"I have a large scar on my abdomen right now a-and I... My brother's dead, Jackson. Dead. He's dead, and everyone is in surgery, and I just..." she let out a dry chuckle, "I'm radiating darkness and death, and K-Kai can't be with me right now-"

"Norah-"

"Jackson, please... My son doesn't recognise me anymore."

❦ ❦ ❦