71┃many things make me happy

S7 EP20

MARK OPENED THE DOOR to their apartment after it was being knocked repeatedly near midnight. He raised a brow at Timothy, who let himself in, kicking off his shoes before heading to the couch.

"What's up with the hair?"

Timothy winced as he pulled off the rubber elastic hair ties from his hair. "Arizona's work. Turns out, Sofia loves it when my hair is like-what I dub-a unicorn," he grimaced, tossing the pink curled up hair tie on the coffee table.

Mark fought back the urge to laugh at the younger man while the latter struggled to get the elastic hair ties out of his hair. "So, how was dinner with the families?"

"Carlos and Colonel were fucking glaring at me like I'm a human meat pie," Timothy grunted out as he got the last of the hair ties off his hair, "That's two fathers-call me frightened, because I am."

"Colonel?" Mark quirked a brow.

"Arizona's father calls himself that," Timothy sighed, sinking onto the couch after a highly tense dinner with both his daughter's grandparents. "I have a whole fucking week with them. I think I might die."

Mark snorted and handed him one of the beers before slumping on the other end of the couch. "You know, you have no idea how glad am I that your dad isn't involved in your lives."

Timothy let out an irritated and envious grunt before taking a swing off his beer.

Norah walked out of the room after a bath, seeing her boyfriend and her brother. They were both chatting and laughing while drinking in the living room. She narrowed her eyes at them with a small pit of jealousy inside of her.

Tim's stealing my boyfriend from me, and Mark's stealing my brother from me.

Gits.

❦ ❦ ❦

"ARE YOU OKAY TO BE walking?" Derek inquired the resident who shot him a scowl while they walked down the hallway.

"If anyone asks me that again..." Norah took a deep breath and shook her head, "I'll kick your arse, Shepherd. Literally. I'm pumped with energy right now." Alex snickered next to her, holding the chart in his hand.

"Please don't," the neurosurgeon smiled back at her grimly, "Mark will kick me again for making you kick me."

The three surgeons entered the patient room in the Pediatrics Wing, where Alex's African kids' program had launched. They were greeted by the loud wailing sound from a baby; Derek's smile grew while Norah touched her bump slightly.

"Makena? Hi, I'm Dr Shepherd. You know Dr Karev, and this is Dr Lawrence," he introduced, "We're here to take a look at Zola today." Makena passed the baby over to Derek, who adjusted the position of his carrying. "Uh, sometimes babies with spina bifida can develop Chiari malformation."

"It causes fluid build-up in the brain," Norah explained when she saw the confused look on Makena's face, "It could be pretty uncomfortable for the baby, but sometimes, if you adjust her head position..."

"It helps relieve the pressure," Derek finished her sentence, and Zola's cries had faltered. Her small hand reached up to touch the attending's face, and he was grinning brightly back at her. "Let me see this," he cooed, "Let me see this face."

"Are you gonna cry soon?" Alex whispered to Norah, who nudged him hard in the ribs; the former yelped in pain.

"We've had her at the orphanage since she was two months old," Makena shared, referring to the baby that was getting cradled in the attending's arms. "This is the first time she's stopped crying since I can remember."