23┃daddy?

S4 EP2

"WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE chief?" Mark asked as he approached Derek in front of the OR board.

"He's a junkie," the neurosurgeon replied as he dripped eyedrops in his eyes.

"Him?" Mark mused, "You're the one who looks all strung out."

"I'm just tired."

"Let me guess," he smirked, "You and Meredith are back together, and you've been up all night doing the horizontal salsa."

"Mambo. Horizontal mambo," Derek corrected with a smile. "And Meredith and I, we're just friends."

"There's no such thing as just friends," Mark shrugged.

Derek snorted at the other attending. "You think so?" he queried before nudging his head at the plastic surgeon's hand, "Then, who's the coffee for?"

Mark paused a moment as Derek's words hit him. "Me," he answered before taking a sip and walking away.

❦ ❦ ❦

NORAH WALKED UP TO the nurses' station, where the countertop was full of boxes of electric appliances. Toaster, waffle maker, mixer, blender, rice cooker-the one that caught her eye was the espresso machine.

"Some amazing wedding gifts you have here," she voiced out as she approached the espresso machine.

"Yes, and she's giving them away," Izzie informed. "I have dibs on the Mixmaster."

"I'm not giving you the Mixmaster," Cristina deadpanned.

"I think the tradition is you're supposed to return them," Meredith suggested.

"I don't know about you, but my mum taught me never to return gifts," Norah stated. Mark walked up from behind her, checking out the same machine she had her eyes on. She smacked his hand away before he could even touch the box.

"My mother's dead," Meredith shrugged.

"Burke registered for this crap. Now I'm the one stuck dealing with it," Cristina ranted. "So, I'm using it for professional gain."

"You sure you're ready to part with this?" Mark asked, brushing his hand on the cardboard box despite the ongoing protest from the brunette resident.

"Hey-I want this!" Norah argued, sending him a hard glare.

"Sweetheart, there's nothing I want from you... except maybe your brain, so..." Cristina smirked and turned to the plastic surgeon, "It's yours if I can help on the rhomboid flap in your next Mohs defect repair."

Mark lifted Norah's hand off the espresso machine, and she stole the coffee from his hand. "Come to daddy," he muttered, though his words were less towards the machine and more directed to the resident.

❦ ❦ ❦

"SO, I'M ON DR SLOAN'S service today," Timothy spoke next to Norah. "A fucking weird situation to be in, but I've only been watching Stevens doing debridement on our patient."

"Sloan hates interns," Norah shrugged.

"Except you."

"Here's a tip," she chuckled and turned to him, "Show him that you have good hands in plastics, and he'll start giving you work to do."

He frowned. "I hate plastics. We hate plastics." She shrugged, and he nodded with a sigh.

"Dr Lawrence," Bailey called, and both the siblings turned to her. "Uh... Norah. I need you to work in the clinic today-no-before you open your mouth, just... let me say this. I need this because I have idiot interns are down there in my clinic. A clinic, dripping with my blood, sweat and tears, Lawrence-I am not at all convinced that they will not burn it down with their ineptitude."