36┃neuro

S5 EP14&15

DEREK, MARK AND NORAH were in Meredith and Derek's bedroom, filled with red petals and green stems. There were roses on the bed, roses on the walls, roses everywhere.

The two men were lighting up candles around the room while Norah stood by the doorframe, taking in the sight of what Meredith might see when she opened the door.

"This is stupid," Derek grumbled, "She's gonna hate this."

"What, the flowers?" Mark asked. "Girls love this crap."

They continue lighting the candles, one at a time. Norah furrowed her brows at the number of roses Derek had managed to get, which was, to say, a lot.

"Norah's not speaking," he glanced over to the woman leaning against his doorframe, "She agrees with me-oh no-she agrees with me. It's a cliché. I'm a cliché."

"Clichés became clichés for a reason," Mark stated, "Because they worked."

"Norah, please say something," Derek sighed as he stood up next to the bed. "What would Meredith think? Would she like it? Or is it too cliché? Please say something."

Norah folded her arms in front of her chest, tilting her head aside as she stared at the very blossoming red room. "You want me to be entirely honest?" she asked, and he nodded. "If I were Meredith... I would faint at the scent of all these roses... then freak out."

"If you were you?" Mark asked, and she turned her gaze to him. He had a small smirk on his face, knowing that Derek could not see him from behind.

"If I were me, I'd freak out, too," Norah replied, "I'm not a fan of surprises. Birthday surprises used to make to retreat into my room." When Derek turned his back to both of them to light up the remaining candles. Norah nudged her head towards him, sending Mark a serious look on her face.

Mark stared back and forth between his two favourite people, clearing his throat. "It's... great, isn't it?" he spoke nervously, "When you feel so strongly for someone, and it's... you know, not just about the sex."

Derek turned to him slowly, staring at Mark's seemed-to-be frozen at his spot figure; the former had a look mixed with bafflement and curiosity. Derek stared at Mark as though the latter had gone insane. Norah was sighing internally, knowing that this was not going as planned.

"It is..." Mark paused as he struggled to find his words, his eyes flickering to the woman at the door briefly, "It's true."

There was a long silence... before Derek let out a laugh; Mark looked at him confusingly while Norah narrowed her eyes, too. "You should not talk like that," Derek snorted as he adjusted the pillows on the bed.

"Yeah. You're right..." Mark turned his head to Norah, who merely sighed back at him. "Well, you're all set here. I'm gonna leave you to it." He stopped at the door, glaring at the amused face she failed to hide. "Congratulations," he told Derek.

"Thanks," Derek replied, admiring his cliché work.

"For a brain surgeon, he really is brainless, know what I mean?" Norah whispered as Mark walked past her.

"I know exactly what you mean." He leaned down and pressed a kiss on the side of her neck, not even bothering that Derek would find out-he was supposed to find out. Yet Derek was occupied by his phone ringing.

"Addison?" Derek spoke through the phone, catching both their attentions. "What happened?"

Mark and Norah shared a look; Derek's face and tone were enough to say it all.