66┃wonder child

S7 EP12

NORAH SPED DOWN THE hallway, catching up with the rest of the fourth-year residents. She pushed through Jackson and Alex to walk in front of them; the two men merely narrowed their eyes at her and shrugged it off.

"What is this, everybody got paged?" Jackson questioned.

"It's that time of year again," Alex replied, "The chicks have hatched."

April quirked a brow at his reply, visibly confused. "Is that some sort of a code?"

Norah chuckled and cleared up, "First-year med students." The group of six reached the lobby where Webber had just arrived with the med students trailing along behind Lexie.

"Good morning. Behind me stand the interns and residents of tomorrow. Today you will show them what it's like to be a surgeon," Webber prefaced; the med students were smiling awkwardly back at them. "When you go into surgery, they go into surgery. When they have a question, you will answer."

"It's like court-ordered community service," Cristina lowered her voice with a grumble.

"I'd rather be picking up trash off the side of the highway," Meredith snorted.

"I'd rather get shot in the face," Norah chimed in. They narrowed their eyes at her with disturbed looks on their faces. "What? Still too soon?"

Lexie cleared her throat before reading out the names on her clipboard to assign the residents to their respective med students. "Fred Wilson, you're with Dr Yang. Kira Donnelley, with Dr Grey. Hudson Powell, with Dr Kepner. Laurel Pinson..."

A tall woman with a beautiful face and figure stepped to the front, causing the two male residents to perk up at once. "Mine." They both argued over in a whisper while their eyes fixed on the med student. Norah snorted at the eager looks on the faces, shaking her head.

"Laurel, you're... with Dr Karev," Lexie informed. Alex beamed while Jackson grunted in frustration. "Edward Taylor, Dr Avery. Hunter Dubois, Dr Lawrence."

A lanky man with sharp cheekbones shuffled over to Norah with a flashy but nervous smile on his face. "I'm Dr Lawrence," Norah introduced herself, "Glad to have you for the day."

"I-I'm Hunter," he greeted and stared at her hand that was waiting in between them. "I don't um... do handshakes..." His hand was hesitant to shake hers; in the end, he opted for a wave instead. She chuckled slightly at his awkward movement.

"I will be picking my Chief Resident in a few months," Webber raised his voice. Although his words were towards Cristina, he gained all the fourth-year residents' attention. "And you're still a prime candidate."

"The race for Chief Resident is on?"

"Since when?"

"Chief, how long have you been evaluating us?" Norah queried with her brows furrowed.

Webber looked back at the group with a sly smile on his face. "Since your first day here." The residents stared at each other shockingly with their eyes widened.

"I'm glad I cut no LVAD wires," Norah whispered with a smirk.

Alex raised a brow at her with a snicker, "Remember when you punched a co-worker?"

Her face dropped while she pinched the bridge of her nose stressfully. "Ah, crap."

❦ ❦ ❦

NORAH STOOD IN THE elevator with Hunter. It was quite awkward between them since he was not much of a talker. She noticed how he was constantly fidgeting with the cuff of his sleeves and avoiding eye contact with almost everyone.