21┃is that what you want?

Pre-S4

MARK OPENED HIS EYES faintly, squinting at the glistening rays of light beaming into the room. The apartment was quiet, except for the ticking clock on the nightstand. Now he understood what she meant about waking up to sheer silence-it was lonely.

Except it wasn't.

Not for her, not for them-not today.

He listened to the light snores from the person lying on his bare chest, who had one arm hugging across his abdomen. Her legs tangled with his left one under the blankets-like a dozing koala bear cuddling the trunk of a tree.

He raked the back of her hair lightly, gently-as though he had been doing it since forever.

Norah stirred on his chest, and he lifted his head from the pillow to plant a kiss on her head.

"What time is it?" she mumbled, barely awake.

He turned to look at the clock on her nightstand. "A bit after six," he replied, "I don't have to get in until eight."

Lub dub... lub dub... lub dub...

The rhythm of his heartbeat was soothing.

"We can go for another round before I have to leave," he stated, and she lifted her head from his chest, staring at the suggestive smirk on his face.

She dropped her head back on his chest. "You kept me up till two last night, Mark. I need my sleep."

"The way you say my name makes me feel things," he piped up, "Still, I like it better when you were screaming it."

She glared at him.

"I wanna stay in bed the whole day before I start my first day as a resident tomorrow," she muttered. The interns had a 17-day off before they started their second year of residency, and the two-and-a-half weeks had gone by like a blink of an eye. She suddenly shot up and stared at him. "Crap-I'm a resident tomorrow?!"

He chuckled at her sudden realisation that made her eyes widen. "Seems like you are," he grinned, sitting up on the bed.

He caught her arm before she could move out of bed and pulled her back towards him. "Come on, Laurie, I'm lying naked in your bed. How could you resist me?" he whispered.

She narrowed her eyes at him as though he was proposing a challenge. Her arms rested on either side of his shoulders as she straddled above him; her hand traced below his hair.

"Okay, don't-" he groaned, "Now you're just messing with me."

She placed a soft kiss on his lips, but when he leaned in for more, she pulled back. Tease.

"Watch me," she mumbled and got up from bed, leaving him dazzled and stupefied under the sheets.

❦ ❦ ❦

"YOU, ARE DRIVING ME insane," Mark stated as he dried his hair with a towel, walking towards the living room, where Norah was flipping through some journals.

"Gives you something to think about at work," she chuckled before asking, "Will I be given interns as a resident tomorrow?"

"I think that's how it works," he replied and dropped himself on the couch. "Don't worry. You'll be a great resident."

"Oh, I intend to be," she smirked.

Mark pulled her up from the floor and seated her on his lap. His arms wrapped around her waist and stomach while she continued flipping the journals. "You are the first person who managed to resist me, you know?" he said, snuggling his face at the side of her neck.