53┃new york

[CW: mention of su1cide & assault]

S6 EP20

MARK DID NOT SLEEP THE entire night, he could not rest, at all.

One being Sloan had reappeared in the middle of the night, going into labor. The surgeons from across the hall had helped with the birth, but he remained lost in his head. Holding his grandson in his arms was the sole thing he had a recollection of.

The rest of the night was a blank recollection for him.

Lying on the couch, he had listened for the soft footsteps or the jingling of keys or the door opening-even if it was from the door down the hall. But all he heard was silence, other than the droplets of water dripping down the kitchen sink.

It was a rhythm; now he knew why she had always found the small rhythms soothing.

THE FIRST THING HE DID when he arrived at the hospital the next morning was to flag down Timothy.

He eventually found him talking to Lexie by one of the coffee carts and pulled him aside despite interrupting the conversation of the two residents.

"Dr Sloan?" Timothy's voice was fairly exasperated.

"Did Norah go to your apartment last night?" Mark asked, his breathing uneven and his brows knitted worriedly.

Timothy narrowed his eyes at the attending. "What do you mean?" he questioned back.

That was a 'no', then.

When the realisation sank in, the resident's face paled. He took a step towards the attending, clutching the collar of his scrubs and staring at him straight in the eyes. "What the fuck did you do?"

"I didn't... I-" Mark was at a loss of words as he exhaled heavily.

Timothy's expression was frozen, concerned, afraid. "She... broke up with you?" he asked carefully, letting go of the attending's shirt.

"I... I don't..."

The colour on the resident's face drained, a bubble of panic started to rise in his chest. Mark looked stressfully back at him when he noticed the resident's eyes searching frantically for something-someone.

"Dr Lawrence, Dr Shepherd is looking for you," a voice called from behind.

"J-Just give me a min-"

"Right now? Alright, fine," another voice replied instead, "Thanks, Thompson."

Both heads snapped towards the direction of the voice and saw a tired-looking Norah handing the scans in her hands to the younger resident in front of her.

They exhaled in relief. Mark was about to walk up to her when Timothy held him back. "Don't," he warned sharply, his whole 'protective brother' mode was flickered into activation within a minute.

❦ ❦ ❦

NORAH KNOCKED ON THE door of the Chief of Surgery's office and entered after the voice told her to go in. Derek sat at his seat behind the desk looking worn out before it was even noon.

Before she could close the door behind her, it was swung open again and Timothy marched in with a growing smile on his face. "Tim? What are you-"

Her words were cut off when Timothy wrapped his arms around her tightly.

Although he was nearly a head taller than her, it was still as if they were children, and he dug his face into her shoulder. Derek raised a brow at her and she returned it with a confusing look.