35┃little genius

S5 EP12

NORAH HAD A DESIRE OF dropping herself onto her bed at that very moment, which was thrilling beyond imaginable. Yet she was now behind the wheel, humming to the song on the radio as Mark dozed off on the passenger seat.

He opened his eyes curiously and realised that they were taking a different turn, away from her apartment. "Where are we going?" he asked.

"Meredith's."

He quirked a brow at her simple reply. "Why?"

"Because she's in a crisis," Norah muttered back, glancing at him before keeping her eyes back on the road.

"Crisis...?" he muttered before querying, "Did Derek propose or something?"

"Nah, Derek's mum is visiting tomorrow," she shrugged, not noticing Mark's widened eyes. "And Meredith needs help to-"

"Mrs Shepherd's coming?" he squeaked out, jerking straight up on the seat. "T-To Seattle-?!"

"Uh... yeah?" she threw him a confused look while the colour on his face drained. "So...?"

"So that woman practically raised me, taught me right from wrong," he deadpanned. "If she found out we were... Oh god, now she's gonna kill me before Derek does-why must she be here tomorrow?"

"Hold up, wind back a little," she put a hold to the panic in his eyes. "She raised you?"

"I was raised by parents who weren't very interested in having kids. They had friends, they had their lives... They weren't around much," he sighed, "Mrs Shepherd used to see how tired I was and made Derek bring me home, 'cause I was alone and needed a family."

"So we were two little kids that lacked care from our actual parents," she concluded, and he gave her a half-smile. "We are quite similar, huh?"

As they pulled up at the driveway, Meredith sprinted out right away; Cristina followed closely after her. Norah stepped out of the car and greeted them; Cristina cocked a brow at the other side of the car.

"I didn't know that you were babysitting tonight, sweetheart," she spoke, referring to the man who had just stepped out of the car. Mark scowled while the three residents chuckled.

❦ ❦ ❦

"DOES THIS HOUSE ALWAYS sound like a fucking frat party?" Timothy queried, leaning against the wall in the attic.

"They're cleaning the house for Dr Shepherd's mother," Lexie replied, moving aside on the mattress she was lying on. "Come lay next to me."

He got up from the cold floorboards and walked over, not before shrieking in fear and hitting his head against the ceiling. She stared at him worriedly as he held the back of his head, hissing in pain.

"What-"

"There's a spider!" he screeched, pointing at the bug that he almost stepped on.

"Y-You're afraid of... of a spider?" she questioned amusingly, but he backed away to the corner of the attic. She snorted at his reaction and squashed the bug, tossing it into a bin.

"It's dead now," she informed, but he still had a horrified look spread across his face. "Oh, Timmy, come on!"

"YOU HAVE A GHOST IN THE attic?" Norah asked, looking upwards from her seat. The other residents glanced up, too, and they heard a loud shriek, followed by a thud.

"Probably Lexie moving some boxes or something," George replied with a shrug.

"Probably Lexie falling over some boxes or whatever," Alex corrected before turning to look at a very distressed-looking Meredith. "Ten bucks says she tanks in the first five minutes."