55┃hurting and memories

S6 EP22

A FUNDRAISING GALA WAS exhausting to attend. Not only did one have to maintain a smile when greeting guests and potential donors, but Norah also disliked heels, it made her feet sore.

With a grin that made her face stiffen and a second-or third-tequila in her hand, she chatted up with one of the guests from... Australia? She couldn't remember; at the same time eyeing the event to look for her brother.

Timothy had just gotten a group of investors in bright moods, a toast of champagne for their night. He was a social person most of the time, but entertaining groups after groups were making him feel wearied.

Out of the corner of his eye, he found his sister sipping on her drink while nodding with something the man in front of her said.

"Smile and nod, Tim," Norah had advised when they first arrived, "And then we get the hell out of here."

The siblings met eyes and wrapped up their conversations, before heading towards each other. Norah looked amused when Timothy looked like he was on the verge of screaming.

"What's up with you?" she cocked a brow at her.

"The group I was talking to? They're interested... in me," he cringed, "All of them-that's a group of five, you know? Oh my fucking god..."

She snorted while he looked petrified, wiping the sweat off his forehead. "Let's get out of here," she suggested.

"Escape plan...?"

"Plan A. I'll meet you at your car."

❦ ❦ ❦

"THIS WHOLE WALL WILL be windows so we can take advantage of the view," Derek explained, gesturing his hand on top of a blueprint spread on top of a desk.

Mark and Owen stood on either side of him as they inputted ideas and suggestions. "Have you broken ground yet?" the ginger queried, bringing his drink to his mouth.

"The day I was named chief," Derek replied.

Meredith walked into the quiet room where only the sound of papers flipping could be heard. She stared at the three men in the room, looking at her husband in the middle.

"You know, at my parties, we drink beer and dance on tables," she voiced out, gaining the attention of all three of them.

Derek raised a brow at his wife, "Are you insulting my party?"

"It's getting kind of lame out there," she admitted.

He sighed and turned to both of the other men, picking up his glass of drink from the desk. "Duty calls." The three of them left the room one after another to join the 'party' in the living room.

DEREK WANDERED OVER to the kitchen and got himself a refill. Cristina was sitting in the kitchen and taking first dibs on every serving tray before it went out to everyone else.

With a new drink in his hand, he noticed that his party, indeed, looked lame.

He saw some flashing lights from outside, watched as a car pulled up not far from their place. His eyes widened when he recognised the vehicle and quickly headed to the front door, pulling it wide open.

"Hey, you're back, and you made it," he grinned at Norah then Timothy who were both walking towards the porch. "How was the gala?"

"Boring, too posh, not for us," Norah replied, stepping up the porch, "We fled, actually."