44┃someone's getting fired

S6 EP6

THEY SAT ANXIOUSLY outside the conference room. Residents, nurses and a few attendings who were on-call that night were now leaning against the walls.

Bouncing legs, nail picking, murmurs and discussion, pacing-everyone was tired and on the edge of their seats while they waited in the silence.

"Someone's getting fired," Reed spoke up in the nervous tension.

"Stop it," April hissed next to her.

"She wasn't even my patient," Charles proclaimed.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Norah sat between Timothy and Alex, snapping her fingers nervously as they waited for the time to pass. The soft rhythm she created seemed to have calmed her racing mind for a while until Reed spoke up again.

"Would you stop doing that?" she snapped.

Norah lifted her eyes from the floor to the smaller woman, not bothering about her words but still lowering the volume of her snaps. Mark, who was leaning against the wall not so far from them, turned his head to the residents with a frown on his face.

"Is a tragic death curse not fucking enough for you?" Timothy fired back, and the redhead rolled her eyes.

"How long is this gonna take?" Alex asked with an annoyed tone.

"Why, you need to make a phone call?" Jackson taunted, and the Mercy Westers snickered.

Norah's snapping stopped, and she shifted her gaze to him, sending him a warning look. Alex was glaring at the man for a moment-until he snapped and pushed himself off his seat, launching himself towards the other guy, grabbing Jackson by the collar.

The situation quickly erupted into a fight, and the attendings were quick to rush over to pull both men apart. The other residents started arguing with one another, flaring up and shouting and shoving one another. Norah was about to stand up when she got firmly pushed back on her seat by Derek.

Owen inserted himself between the two fighting men, breaking them up from touching each other; Derek tore Alex away from the fight while Mark did the same with Jackson.

Norah ducked her head from a swinging fist while Timothy drew his legs up to his chest. His feet were on the seat as he avoided getting his shoes stepped on; at the same time, he was trying to get Lexie to sit down.

The chief walked out of the conference room upon hearing their indistinct shouting from within. "That's enough!" he demanded at the sight of the mess, but nobody seemed to have heard him. "I said enough!" Webber yelled, louder this time, finally catching everyone's attention.

Mark had got Jackson back to his seat, and Derek, too, shoved Alex back next to Norah. "You alright?" he queried, and the brunette resident nodded.

"What happened here tonight, what happened to that patient, was inexcusable. And we're gonna be here till I find out who's responsible for it," he ordered, looking between the two rows of doctors, "So until then, you will sit down, you will shut up, and you'll wait to be called."

An uneasy silence was shared among the doctors as the situation started to calm and quiet down.

"Hunt."

Norah rested her head against the wall behind her with her eyes closed as a sigh escaped her mouth. Mark stood in front of her with his arms folded across his chest.

She opened her eyes when he lightly bumped her knees with his leg. Words exchanged through their eyes; he was checking in on her, and she shrugged back in response.