19┃two pagers went off

S3 EP24

NORAH WOKE UP WITH her eyes strained-if she could even call herself waking up.

She had hardly slept due to the silence in her apartment. There were no loud drilling noises from the pavement outside, no yelling neighbours or pedestrians, no snores coming from her couch; it was quiet.

Too quiet, in fact.

She was starting to miss the nights where her couch was occupied over the night because that meant she would not have to wake up to an empty apartment, where she felt worse than alone.

The clock on her nightstand read 4:01 am.

It was too early to get to the hospital, so she did the one thing she thought that was logical-study, because... why not?

She crossed her legs on top of her desk with flashcards and notebooks in her hands. It took her a while before her head was swimming with medical terms all over again.

The intern exam was only a few hours away, and she wanted to spend the remaining of her time shoving medical facts and diseases into her brain. The thought of sleeping with her notes under her pillow did cross her mind, but she figured that the words would not diffuse into her brain as she wished they could.

Tick... tock... tick... tock...

"Dr... Bailey...?"

Bailey caught the intern as she slid to the ground; the resident yelled for a stretcher at the top of her lungs. She could not see what was happening around her; her vision was blurry, fuzzy-there was a bright light that she guessed was from the ceiling in the ER. Her eyelids felt heavy.

Her body got lifted from the ground shortly after, then dropped on a gurney that wasted no time in wheeling her towards a place where she felt slightly warmer than she was before.

"Tell the... up now... page Webber..."

She could not make out the whole sentence, only parts of it.

Green grass-

The lights were glowing brightly then dim in repeat through her eyelids. Where was she going?

Fresh air-

She could faintly feel a hand pressing tightly against her abdomen that was starting to get a bit sore. Probably covering my wound from bleeding out, she thought bitterly.

Warm summer morning-

Two little kids were running around-a girl and a boy-chasing each other as they hopped and stumbled. A man and a woman sat next to each other on a blanket. His arm draped over her shoulder, and her head rested on his chest. They watched the wide grins on the kids' faces as they hurled sand at each other.

It was the beach.

The girl shrieked as the sand got onto her hair, crying out loud as a woman crouched down and gently brushed the sand off her head. The girl was still sobbing, and the boy slowly walked up to her, carefully poking her on the arm.

The girl snapped her head towards him, causing the boy to gulp in fear. "I'm sorry..." the boy mumbled, his head down. The girl turned her head and stormed away from him; he trailed closely behind her, still trying to get her to forgive him.

The little boy screamed as the girl stomped on the tall sandcastle that he had built, the horror rising in his eyes. He tried pulling her away, but she was just too strong for him to budge. Eventually, he managed to trip her to fall. But as clever as she were, she grabbed him, and the two little kids fell onto the sand together-now both their heads covered in the warm sand.