46┃dads

S6 EP10

THANKSGIVING DAY

THE TICKING CLOCK HAD long been ignored ever since Norah and Mark moved into their apartment. The rhythm that eased her in her sleep had gotten replaced with another.

It was like a habit for them-her of the left side of the bed and him on the right; her head on his chest and his arm held her close; him listening to the light snores, and she listened to his beating heart.

A light-sleeper and a deep-sleeper; they were polar opposites drawn to one another. One thing they shared, though, was the physical touch they craved from each other. A love language, one might say, was the thing they lacked from their parents when they were still a little child.

Lub dub... lub dub... lub dub...

The alarm went off, and Norah woke up with a start, her eyes dry and strained. She turned herself over to smash the clock before sitting up, stretching her body and cracking her neck.

The man next to her was still fast asleep, one hand behind his head and another at the side of him where she had just sat up from.

"Mark, up, up," she shook him, but he mumbled some incoherent words before planting his face deep into his pillow.

She scowled at their daily morning routine, which consisted of her spending up to ten minutes, then settling with dragging him out of bed.

She picked up her pillow and hurled it towards his ass, the latter not budging at all. "Mark, come on. It's Thanksgiving. The ER's gonna be swamped!" she tried before murmuring, "You know, you could be dead, and I wouldn't know it."

The next pillow hit straight to the back of his head, and he finally lifted his head from the pillow, though his eyes barely opened.

"Gosh, finally-hey!"

Mark had grabbed her and pulled her towards him while he lay back onto their bed. She let out a sound of protest, but his arms only wrapped even tighter around her body.

"Happy Thanksgiving," he mumbled.

"Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. Now, let me go."

He shook his head at the crook of her neck, burying his face deeper while she laid her back on top of him with a sigh. She could feel herself moving along with his breathing pattern-his chest rising and falling against her back.

"We have work to get to," she stated.

"Then let's make it quick."

She flipped herself over on top of him with her eyebrows furrowed. "Mark, I love you, but you gotta get your horny arse up now," she deadpanned while his hands had already travelled to the hem of her shirt.

She smacked off his hand and got out of bed. "You best be up when I get out of the shower."

"Mm... shower sex?"

"Mark Sloan!"

"I love you more, Laurie."

❦ ❦ ❦

A MAN IN A SUIT WALKED up to the nurses' station in the ER. The nurses were busy charting and receiving calls on the phone, but one of them lifted his head to the man after seeing him approach.

"Hi, sir, can I help you?" Tyler asked whilst sorting the charts in his hands.

"Yes, is a Dr Lawrence working today?" the man queried, his accent thick.

Tyler checked the pages and nodded. "Yeah, both Lawrences are here right now," he informed, "Do you want me to page them?"

"Yes, please," the man nodded while checking his watch. "Only Norah, get Norah Lawrence for me," he added, "Thank you."