50┃do not let him die

[CW: assault, trauma, mild panic attack]

- 08:29 -

TIMOTHY WALKED UP TO Mark, who had just stepped in through the hospital's entrance. The latter held a coffee in his hand while his other was in the pocket of his leather jacket.

"Sloan, how's Nor?" the resident queried.

"What do you mean, 'How's Nor'?" Mark cocked a brow the resident's question, "Didn't she come in early today?"

"Huh? I heard from Shepherd that she called in sick," Timothy returned the same confused look to the attending. They stared at each other for a long while before the younger man spoke up again, "You sure she came in early?"

"Yeah, I remember her telling me that Nelson has a craniotomy this morning," Mark informed. He recalled her excited face when she got to scrub in on a morning surgery, and he was still stirring in bed when she kissed him goodbye. "Her car's in the parking lot as well."

"Oh, well then, okay, er..." Timothy furrowed his brows, "Guess I misheard from Shepherd, then."

Yet when the resident walked away, Mark saw Nelson with another resident, Nina Lee, heading towards the elevator. He frowned at the sight of them, and a whispering voice was growing inside him.

He was about to look for Derek to inquire him, but he got a page to the ER. Hence, he decided to text Norah instead.

❦ ❦ ❦

- 11:41 -

"DEREK!"

"Yeah?" the neurosurgeon turned around to see a distressed-looking Mark speeding up to him.

"Norah... called in sick?" the latter asked, his tone uncertain. He had just gotten out of surgery and noticed that his messages had not been replied, nor seen by her. He was starting to get worried.

"Yes, she did, this morning," Derek confirmed, raising a questioning brow at the other man, "I thought you two live together? Something happened?"

"No...? I don't know, um... I don't think so, but... I remember her telling me..." Mark shook his head, "Never mind-I think I'm just overreacting."

Derek narrowed his eyes in concern. "Alright... Do tell me if you, um, find her?" he stated, "I'm sure she's just fine, Mark." He gave his best friend a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "Sorry, I have a head trauma coming in. I need to go."

Derek wondered about the whereabouts of Norah because he strongly remembered her calling in sick. He allowed her to take the day off since she had barely missed any shifts since her intern year, except for the necessary leaves for her injuries back then.

He pushed the bubble of concern in his chest away when the paramedics unloaded the patient from the ambulance. "What do we have?"

As the paramedic informed him about the patient's status, Derek's eyes widened when he saw the man's face.

Gruesome was the word he would use to describe the man's state. He could see the obvious skull fractures, and the man's pupil was blown.

"Damn it, get an OR ready for me, right now!"

There was no right reason that the man only got bashed in on his head, so Derek searched for other injuries. He found none, to his surprise, other than some scratch marks on the man's arm. He frowned when he saw some black spots on the man's hand-five words smudged on his palm: