1

Mae Dutton may have lived on the Yellowstone Dutton Ranch most of her life but early mornings were the one thing she never enjoyed, especially after only arriving home after eleven the previous night.

She had been called out to the Hilton ranch to treat the young cattle suffering from BRDC (Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex). This disease is caused by environmental risks, and a combination of bacterial and viral pathogens. The cattle's lower and upper respiratory tract can be affected and lead to a variety of illnesses including pneumonia and bronchitis. The ranch hands caught on to the illness early enough in order for Mae, and the few vet students doing their practical's at her clinic, to treat the cattle. Mae prescribed a few of the necessary vitamins needed to cleanse the herd and made it clear that it is important to make sure that young cattle are vaccinated against any and all diseases. Vaccinations and a stress-free environment will help prevent the cattle from getting sick. Mae reminded them that her father, John Dutton, is the livestock commissioner for the state of Montana and that she would gladly report the ranch for negligence if she received another call like this. 

Mae would not let the students go home this late without dinner so she called Ruby's café, before they left the Hilton ranch, and ordered everyone's food in order for it to be finished by the time they arrived. They ate their dinner quickly with minimal conversation, everyone dead tired from the long day. Mae paid the bill and dropped everyone off at the clinic, only after being certain they all had a ride home, did she leave for the Yellowstone ranch. 

This morning Mae woke up at four, got dressed in some sweats, grabbed her home kit and made her way down to the stables. Her two Australian Shepperd's, Willow and Archie, followed her excited to start the day while her Beagle puppy, Gus, remained sleeping in her bed. He hated early mornings even more than Mae did. She gave the Australian Shepperd's their bowls of food that Gator already prepared the night before, she would give Gus his at a more reasonable hour, and left them to eat. 

Some of the wranglers were complaining that their horses were getting tired quicker than before, they were getting worried so Rip asked her to check up on them when she had the time. The problem was, time was the one thing Mae seemed to lack these days, her clinic became so popular that people from all over the state brought their pets and animals to get treated. Do not understand her wrong, Mae loved that her business was doing so well but that meant less time for her home life and the people she loved. It did not help that Mae was a slight control freak and preferred to do most things herself or at the very least supervise. It was one of the reasons vet students all over the country fought for a chance to do their practical's at the Dutton Veterinary. Mae was kind but strict, there was no time for fooling around when an animal's life was at stake. She gave the students lessons and experiences that they could of only dreamt of in school.  It was no secret that having experience working under Mae Dutton solidified your future as a veterinarian. 

Mae knocked on the bunkhouse door, knowing the ranch hands would already be up, getting ready for the day. The door opened and she was face to face with her surrogate big brother, Rip Wheeler. He along with the heir of the Yellowstone ranch and her eldest biological brother, Lee, were in charge of making sure that everything on the ranch ran smoothly. 

"Morning Cub," he greeted. Rip spent most of his younger years babysitting the blonde girl. He always used to say she reminded him of a bear cub, cute and cuddly until you pissed her off. She always called him her bear, the fierce protector that would let no one, not even her own brothers hurt her. Lee, Jamie and Kayce got their asses handed to them a few times because of this. The nicknames just kind of stuck.