29

Beth held baby Evie in her arms as she rocked the baby

Beth held baby Evie in her arms as she rocked the baby. The best thing about having Mae as your sister was that she was your best friend and your fiercest protector just like Beth was for Mae. However, the downside was the age difference. Beth was seven, almost eight years older than Mae, so when Beth was a teenager and went through the worst experience in her life, she couldn't rely on her sister to be there. Now so many fucking years later and she still couldn't find it in herself to tell the three people closest to her Mae, Rip and John about it. Hell, Rip was the only other person this affected and she couldn't tell him. Now Jamie was becoming Attorney General, the one thing he has always wanted and she hated it. She hated it because he took the one thing she always hoped for away from him.

Mae, like the good and loving sister she was, made both Kayce and Jamie good luck packages for their first days. It was weird that they started on a Friday but to each their own. As a favour to the governor John allowed Jamie to become the new Attorney General and appointed Kayce as the new Livestock Commissioner. Mae gave Jamie a new tie, some snacks, a house plant and a photo of the two of them for his new office. She gave Kayce a new Cowboy hat, snacks and a bunch of photos of her and him, Tate and Monica and she got him a scented candle just to mess with him. Beth wanted to be pissed at Mae for being so open and congratulatory to Jamie but she couldn't because Mae was ignorant. She was just being her loving, sunshine self and Beth knew that Jamie thrived on it. She could strip that from him in seconds if she could just get the guts to tell her everything but Beth couldn't, for some fucking reason she couldn't tell Mae and it infuriated her. 

"Sorry to interrupt. I understand that she needs her time with her second favourite aunt," Mae stated with a laugh as she walked into the room. She took the day off to spend it with her sister, she missed hanging out with her.

"Fuck you," Beth laughed at her little sister. 

"I just want to give something to Evie and I wanted you to be with me when I do, something from both of her aunts," Mae smiled as she stood next to her sister. Beth raised her brows as Mae pulled out an album from behind her. 

"Hey Bunny, I got you a present. You might not be able to appreciate this until you're a couple of years older but I thought you would like this photo album of your daddy. I even included some of his doofus high school pictures. 

He loves you and he's looking down at you."

Mae looked over and saw the tears forming in Beth's eyes and she nudged her sister: "Both of you." 

"Fuck you for making me cry," Beth huffed as she put the baby into her bed and wiped at her eyes. 

"It's okay to cry and to miss him, Beth, I do," Mae smiled as she squeezed her sisters hand. 

"Looks like not getting to raise your children is this fucking generation of Dutton's curse. Hell even Kayce spent most of Tate's life in Afghanistan," Beth muttered as she cried, Mae couldn't figure out why this was hitting Beth so hard but she didn't like to see her sister cry so she pulled her into a hug.