25

It has definitely not been easy for Mae Dutton, after that present her nightmares just seemed to have gotten worse

It has definitely not been easy for Mae Dutton, after that present her nightmares just seemed to have gotten worse. Some nights they were of what happened to her with Tate and the other times they were of him, memories of the past haunting her and fears of the future. She kept thinking back to that stupid fucking picture and what it meant. She knew it was a taunt, he was teasing her, wanting to see her spiral because he wanted revenge. He wanted revenge for leaving him but she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction. He wasn't going to break her, not again. He expects her to tell everyone, to get her family riled up and to go after him but she wasn't going to do that. He was her problem and she would handle it. 

"Morning," Mae greeted her father and Beth as she walked over to the smoothie Gator already prepared for her. She smiled at her dad as she stopped to straighten his tie. He had an important meeting with the Governor to talk about his position as livestock commissioner. They all saw it coming, it wasn't looking too good for him after the incident with the Beck brothers, some people kept complaining that he was abusing his authority. 

"Morning, Sweetheart," John greeted, kissing the side of her head. 

Kayce walked in behind his sister and Jamie walked in from the front door. He's really taken to living the peaceful wrangler lifestyle instead of the lawyer one. It was the first time in a long time that Mae actually saw him mostly content. 

"Ride those east pastures, Kayce, with all of this rain, see if any of that clover came up," Mae felt her heart clench at the reminder of the amount of cattle that they lost thanks to the Beck brothers. She hated that those dirt bags are still haunting her family from beyond the grave. 

"Should be easy to spot. Are you going to be back by tonight?," Kayce asked. 

"Yeah, it doesn't take long to quit something son. I'll be back by noon," John sighed as he put his coffee mug in the sink. 

Everyone in the kitchen turned to see Charlie walking in with baby Evie. The little girl was dressed in a onesie Mae got her. It was baby blue and in white letters it said 'Grandpa's ride or die (when I'm not napping)'. Mae smiled knowing this was Charlie's way of cheering John up and she greatly appreciated it. 

"Someone wanted to come say hi before you leave," Charlie smiled as John walked over and took the baby into his arms. 

"Just what this old man needed," Mae smiled as she saw that Evie clutched onto one of John's fingers and kept making little squeals of laughter. 

"If you're awake when I get back, we'll go for a walk. How does that sound?," John asked the little girl, who again made her little squeal of laughter. John kissed the little girl's head before handing her back to Charlie. Charlie took her baby back up the stairs, where Gator was waiting. Gator offered to watch over Tate and Evie during the day while Charlie and Monica were at work. Mae constantly teased him that the nanny role suited him.