5

The only day a week Mae doesn't work is a Sunday and you'd expect that, that would be the perfect day to get some well-deserved sleep

The only day a week Mae doesn't work is a Sunday and you'd expect that, that would be the perfect day to get some well-deserved sleep. That is if your name is not Mae Dutton.

John walked into her room bright and early, Archie and Willow started barking excitedly, Gus and Mae groaned. Gus wormed his way into the crook of her neck and Mae tried to smother herself with her pillow.

"Oh c'mon it's not that early."

"Daddy, I love you dearly and I mean this in the nicest way possibly, you're fucking crazy."

John rolled his eyes at her: "I need you, dressed, downstairs and ready in an hour."

"Why do you hate me, old man?"

"59 minutes!"

Mae groaned and shoved her comforter off of her, grumbling all the way into her bathroom.

***

"Alright, I'm here! Why am I here?"

"Well good morning to you too, little bit."

Mae spun around to see Travis Wheatly sitting at their breakfast bar.

"Travis!"

Mae ran towards the older man and he lifted her up in a hug. They've known each other for approximately ten years now and he's basically another older brother figure. Travis works and competes on the rodeo circuit as well as running a successful horse selling business. Hades and Snowball were both bought through him. Travis is also Charlie's older brother.

"You knew I was going to be here today!" Travis laughed at the girl's shocked expression.

"I forgot."

Mae shrugged and smiled cheekily up at him, he rolled his eyes. Barks interrupted the two and she separated herself from the man to feed her dogs.

"What do you need my help for, Daddy?"

"We're looking at some horses Travis brought, help me decide which one to get."

Mae smiled, she loved when Travis brought horses over and she loved that her dad included her in such a big decision. She walked around the counter and wrapped her arms around her dad, kissing his cheek.

"Thank you for waking me up, Daddy."

John just grunted as he tried to hide a smile in his coffee cup.

"Let's go, we're wasting day light."

xxx

Travis joined the rest of his crew and mounted his horse. John, Mae and Rip stood leaning against the wooden fence, Jamie behind them. Mae remained tensed the entire time and it didn't go unnoticed by John, Rip and Travis. Mae hasn't talked to Jaimie after what happened and she felt a little uneasy being around him. He has a lot to make for.