18

Mae smiled as she walked to her car ready for the day ahead, Tate was waving at her and Charlie from the porch and Ryan was waiting by the Jeep

"Mae! Can you watch Tate for a couple of minutes?," Kayce asked as he walked up to his baby sister. 

"Shit, Kayce I have to go in. We're training Avery today and I have multiple surgeries lined up," Mae sighed as she started to fidget with her fingers. 

"I can stay behind and look after him," Charlie offered. 

"No it's only for a couple of minutes and I know you're getting bored being stuck here in the day. I'll watch him, he can come down to the bunkhouse with me," Ryan offered. 

"Are you sure?," Mae asked as she stared up at Ryan. 

"Darlin', you should really stop being surprised every time I offer to do something for your family and besides I like Tate. He's a good kid," Ryan shrugged and Mae couldn't keep the smile off of her lips. 

"Thanks man," Kayce and Ryan shook hands and Charlie got in the car. 

"Yeah, thanks man," Mae mocked and Ryan shook his head at her. He grabbed her by the hips and pulled her into a kiss. 

"Good luck at work, Darlin'." 

"Thank you, you show them how the sexiest babysitter in town does it," Mae teased. 

"Get to work," Ryan laughed as he playfully pushed her in the direction of the Jeep. 

"I love you, see you later!," Mae waved as she got in the car. 

"Love you too," Ryan called back. 

xxx

Avery and Charlie went to go get them all lunch when a familiar figure walked into Mae's clinic. 

"How can I help you?," Liam asked politely. 

"I got this, " Mae told him as she glared at him, "Can you go get the surgery room ready, please?"

Liam stared at the two confused, he wasn't getting a good feeling from this man. He didn't want to leave her alone but Mae wasn't going to let him help her. 

"What do you want, Malcolm? My father already sent you and your brother on your way. We don't need your help to fight off our enemies," Mae stated as she crossed her arms in front of her. 

"That's where you're wrong. You need my help. Your father and your sister won't hear what I have to say. They won't listen to reason but you, you're not just a pretty vet. You've got a head for business on those shoulders, like how you created enough profit out of this small clinic to buy the land next door and open a fully running shelter with volunteers and more than enough food to last a hundred animals, for years. You're also the one with the most sway in your family." 

"And I'll tell you exactly what my dad told you. Our family's battles are purely our own. Thank you for your offer but please don't let the door hit you on your way out," Mae gestured towards the door in a way to urge him out of her clinic.