10

Mae Dutton sat by her big brother, Lee's, grave

Mae Dutton sat by her big brother, Lee's, grave. Charlie called her last night sobbing about how supportive her parents and Travis were being. She told Mae how much it made her miss Lee and the two girls spent an hour crying together on the phone. The grief filled Mae all over again, she never imagined life to be so ruthless. Lee meant more than most to Mae but he was Charlie's everything. Mae could see a slight bump starting to form on her best friend and that made everything more real. Lee's child will grow up without a farther and even though it's a norm for most kids these days, Mae knew it wasn't what Lee would have wanted. Mae promised herself that she would step up and be there for Charlie and her baby. That child will know everything about their father, Mae would make sure of that. The longer she sat there, the more the memories of her and Lee flashed through her mind, one in particular. 

Mae put on her coat and snuck out of the house, Ryan asked her to join him while he was on perimeter check. They've been spending a lot of time together and Mae was happy. She couldn't say that for a long a time but since this cowboy sauntered onto the ranch, he some how brought back the old Mae. The real Mae Dutton, that wasn't anxious, sad or negative. She didn't know if it was his crappy jokes or his cute smile. Whatever it was, she appreciated it. 

"Where are you going this early?" Mae froze as she heard Lee's voice call out to her, he was sitting on the porch with a coffee. 

"I um - I'm just going for a ride." 

"Uh huh and it was just a coincidence that Ryan already tacked up Autumn?" 

Ma stayed silent, she didn't really know what to tell him. She didn't want to admit the truth but Lee would know if she lied, he could always tell. 

"Is there something going on between you and the newest livestock agent?" 

"I don't - sort of, I - stop smiling at me like that!" 

Lee chuckled as he stood up and walked over to his sister and wrapped an arm around her as they started walking to the stables. 

"I'm just messing with you, he already talked to me. He came to me as a sign of respect and told me that there wasn't anything official yet but that you two were spending time with each other." 

Mae smiled as a blush crept up her cheeks. 

"I can see that you're happy and after that asshole, it's all I've ever hoped for." 

"Thank you, big brother," Mae hugged him and kissed his cheek, she had a big smile on her face. Lee hasn't seen that smile in a while and he didn't want to see it disappear again. 

"If he makes you this happy, sunshine, I'll help you sneak off to meet him any day." 

"You're the best big brother ever, you know that?"

"Don't you forget it." 

The two siblings laughed with each other and joked all the way to the barn. Lee watched as his baby sister left to meet Ryan on horseback, the wind in her hair and a smile on her face, she was exactly where she belonged.