8

Mae remembered when Rip first came to the Dutton ranch and she remembered how scared and confused the teen was and she hasn't seen him look like that in years until right now

"Mae I-I fucked up. I fucked up real bad." 

"There's nothing you could have done that we can't fix, Bear." 

"I'm not so sure about that and I'm sorry for bothering you with this. I've been calling your father and Jamie since last night but I haven't been able to reach them." 

"Jamie's been unreachable for days now, I'll go talk to him later after I found Daddy but just tell me what happened." 

Mae could see how much Rip was struggling, he promised to protect her and now here he was dragging her into trouble he's caused. 

"Your dad asked me to go haze the bear off of the property after Jimmy fucked it up before. I tracked it up the mountain when I heard people screaming for help. There were these two Asian tourists, they were hanging from the cliff. The girl was the only one that could speak English and I told her to tell the guy that I could only help them one at a time. I threw down the rope to pull her up first but she didn't explain anything to him and they both fell. I couldn't save them and when I looked up the bear was charging at me. I couldn't escape so I shot it. I called the cops since I couldn't get in touch with your dad or Jamie."

"Bear it was self-defence and you were trying to save people. Besides Donnie's always helped us in any of these cases, I doubt there will be held much against you. The only thing that might affect this is your reputation but Jamie will find a way around that. They'll call in fish and wildlife but I'll try and swing it to be one of the ones that owe me a couple of favours if that'll make you feel better."

"You're the little sister I never wanted."

"And you're the big brother I've always needed." 

"You have big brothers."

"None like you, Bear."

Mae grinned as she kissed his cheek and wrapped her arms around him. Rip smiled softly into the hug, she's always been his go to for comfort. He remembers when he first arrived at the ranch as a young teen and this five year old little girl would run around the entire ranch bringing joy to everyone even him. He never expected how much she'd mean to him but the ball of sunshine wormed her way into the broken teen's heart. 

"I've got to find the missing men in my family." 

***

"Daddy."

John heard his little girl call out to him from his bedroom door as she knocks. It was really early, he just finished getting dressed, which made him worry. 

"Is everything alright, Sweetheart?" 

"You've not been answering your phone, Rip's been calling. You didn't even come down for dinner or to be with Tate last night. Are you okay?"