44

"I'm okay, it's just a scratch

"I'm okay, it's just a scratch. I promise," Mae swatted at Ryan's hands as he checked her stitches again for the seventh time that morning. 

"A bullet wound is not just a scratch. Why the hell did they let you out of the hospital? Shouldn't you be staying there for overnight supervision?" Ryan asked as he ran a hand through his hair. 

"No, because it's not a fatal wound. I'm okay I promise," she assured as she took his face into her hands. 

"I just - I'm worried about you," Ryan sighed, "You've been through too much." 

"I know but I'll work through it, you told me that," Mae reminded as she pressed her lips to his. Ryan tightened his hold on her as he kissed her back. 

"Now can I leave so I can get to work?" Mae asked. 

"Work?" Ryan asked confused, "You can't be thinking of work right now. There's no way in hell your dad or Rip would let you go and I hate to play this card but I don't think I can let you go either." 

"Ryan I have to go-," Ryan shook his head and interrupted her. 

"If I was the one that got shot, would you let me get in the saddle and go back to work right now?" Ryan asked. 

"That's different," Mae shook her head as she grabbed her bag and started walking out of her room and down the stairs. 

"How? How the hell is it different?" Ryan asked as he followed behind her. 

"Because you do physically hard labour," Mae replied as she reached out to take her keys but Ryan grabbed them before she could. 

"And you do stressful surgeries and run a growing business," Ryan replied before he turned her around so that she looked at him, "Just please, please don't go. Can't you just take a couple of days, a week at most to recover and rest?" 

Mae sighed as she looked into his pleading blue eyes, "Okay, I promise but a week at most." 

Ryan nodded and kissed her forehead, "Thank you. I love you." 

"I love you too," she told him. 

"I have to go before Rip comes back and drags my ass through the door but I'll see you later," Ryan told her. 

"See you later," Mae greeted. 

"You're not going to work?" Ryan asked as he handed her back her car keys. 

"I'm not but I am going to visit Kayce. If I can't work I might as well go see them and their new place," Mae told him and he nodded. 

"Say hi to all of them for me," Ryan told her and she nodded. Ryan walked her to her Jeep before turning to head to the barn. 

xxx

"Auntie Mae!" Tate shouted in greeting as he ran to hug his aunt. The dog she gave him and a new one at his side.