20

It was a chilly morning and all Mae really wanted to do was remain in bed cuddling with Gus while Archie and Willow snuggled her but she knew she couldn't. The town, her patients, the ranchers, they were all dependant on her and she couldn't just hide away from her life and her problems. Her sister was right, if she did that the Beck brothers would win and yes she still woke up silently screaming from nightmares, but for her family she would put on a brave face. 

"Go shower and I'll pick your outfit for you," Beth announced as she strutted into Mae's room. 

"Okay, thank you," Mae told her as she stood up and made her way to her bathroom. 

She stood in front of the full length mirror as she inspected the bruises scattered across her body. They lightened in colour but they still were ugly. The burns on her body were also scabbed over and not hurting as much as it used to. She sighed as she turned on the warm water and climbed into the shower. Her eyes landed on the bottle of Ryan's 3-in-1 body wash and shampoo. She always felt jealous that, that shit makes his hair look so amazing while she had to use multiple products just to look presentable. The few times she stayed in the bunkhouse, she did use it but it only made her hair feel dry and made it look horrible. 

xxx

xxx

Mae walked alongside Beth as they entered the vet clinic, flashback were threatening to attack her but her sister's hold on her hand was grounding her in reality. She was trying so hard to keep her mind out of the pit but it was difficult. They had to come down to both of their offices as Mae's door had to be replaced and Beth's window from the attacks. 

"We'll get this sorted for you ASAP Miss Mae, don't you worry and if someone ever tries shit like this again, you call me and the boys, we'll make sure it's the last thing they ever do," Beth had to role her eyes at how much everyone loved her sister. She wasn't jealous or anything, she hated people and could care less if they liked her or not, it just always astounded her how Mae's sunshine influences everyone around her. 

"Thank you Greg, I really appreciate it," Mae stated as she stood next to her sister. 

"I mean it, you are a treasure in Bozeman and most of us owe you. Hell I do for saving my beloved Betty (a bulldog) and for sponsoring my son's football team so that they could go play in the Big Apple. I mean shucks Miss Mae, I have no idea why someone would do this and it's just horrible." 

"Aw Greg, you know how much this town means to me and I don't expect anything in return, you know that."

"Exactly why we love you," Mae shook her head and smiled at the older man. He had messy red, greying hair and laugh wrinkles around his eyes. He was a bit rounder than most but he wears it proudly, claims it's how he shows everyone he has a loving wife. They were one of the sweetest couples in Bozeman and Mae absolutely loved them. She wanted nothing more than to be like them with Ryan when they were older. 

"How much do I owe you?," Mae asked as she reached into her purse to take out her wallet. 

"Nothing,  I refuse to take any money from you. This was not your fault and I'm not going to let you pay for it."