17

John sighed as Jamie walked into his office

John sighed as Jamie walked into his office. They needed to have a serious talk after the previous night, especially since they've had time to work through their emotions and focus with a clear mind.

"I suppose I am to blame for you being so angry. You wanted to hurt me but it's not me you hurt, it's your brother and sisters. Sit down," John waited for Jamie to take a seat, "You understand that it's as much their future you've risked as it is your own?"

"Yeah," Jamie whispered, "If I could just-"

"Just what? Explain? What do you want to explain, Jamie?," John cut him off.

"Well I-I um didn't tell her everything," Jamie tried to defend himself. 

"You don't get it," John shook his head, "You gave her a thread, she can weave it into whatever she wants. You better get with her and find out exactly what it is she wants, you understand? And if what she wants is sub rooted in this ranch with some story about me, then you act like my fucking lawyer and sue her and her fucking magazine right back to New York. Do you understand?"

Jamie nodded and turned to leave the room, he had mistakes to fix. As he left his father's office, Mae walked past him without giving him so much as a glance. Archie, Willow and Gus followed, all of them ignoring the now oldest Dutton son.

xxx

Mae, Liam and Charlie were having lunch, laughing together at the clinic. Charlie couldn't stand being stuck on the ranch during the day anymore and begged Mae to let her join them at the clinic. Mae was hesitant until she mentioned that it was closer to the hospital in case Evie wanted to make her appearance during the day. It was especially boring for Charlie since Travis started going to do the odd jobs in the towns surrounding them. This baby had them all on edge but it wasn't looking like she wants to show up soon. 

Liam grimaced as he watched Charlie devour three burgers like it was nothing before turning to Mae and whispering:  "Are you as terrified as I am right now?"

"Oh definitely." 

"Fuck off," Charlie laughed as she threw fries at the two, the three started laughing at each other again, it was nice being together just the three of them. 

The bell above the door jingled and the three turned to see Liam's cousin, Avery, standing there. 

"Can I talk to you, Mae?," she asked as she stood at the door shifting her weight from one foot to the next. Mae nodded and walked with her back towards her office. 

"What happened? Is everybody at the ranch okay?," Mae asked as she sat across from Avery. 

"Nothing, everybody is okay," Avery answered but Mae could see how nervous the girl was.

"Avery, why are you here?"

"I don't want to be a groomer anymore," Avery admitted as she tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.