28

"I need you in there with me, Sweetheart, he won't be as anxious if he sees a friendlier face," John told Mae as she stopped next to him at the hospital

They had received the call that Jimmy was awake that morning and John needed to go speak with him. 

"Okay but now I'm going to be late for work and will have to pay for lunch," Mae laughed softly as she got out of her Jeep. It was a running tradition in her clinic, whoever is late pays for lunch that day. It was a little incentive to keep the students from being late. However recently with all the drama taking place surrounding her family, Mae was buying more and more lunches. 

"I'll call the diner and have them deliver some burgers and fries to you all on me," John offered. 

"No I can't ask you to do that. I have more than enough money and it's my clinic," Mae argued as the two walked into the hospital. 

"You never let your old man spoil you anymore," John grumbled. 

"Because I have my own money," Mae argued. 

"If you keep turning down my offers, I'm going all out for your future wedding," Mae blushed and laughed at John's words. 

"How about I pay for my own wedding and you contribute to the honeymoon fund?," Mae offered as she shook her head. 

"Deal," John nodded. 

"Why are we even talking about this? I'm not getting married any time soon," Mae asked as they walked into Jimmy's room to see him still asleep and sat down in the chairs next to the bed. 

"You have a love struck cowboy, I'm anticipating the day where he asks me for your hand," John grumbled. He was happy that his daughter was with someone that loved her but he still didn't like the fact that his baby girl will more than likely get married soon. 

"First Monica asked if I wanted kids and now you're talking about marriage. Why is my love life a common topic recently?"

"Well you and Ryan have been together both unofficially and officially for a while now and it's just about the time where people start to talk and expect it," John shrugged as he flipped through the newspaper. 

"I think we have more important things to worry about than my love life, don't you?," Mae asked as she rested her head on her father's shoulder to read the newspaper article with him. 

"Unfortunately, we do," John sighed. 

"Daddy I have to tell-," Mae was interrupted by Jimmy waking up. She wanted to tell her dad about Roarke but Jimmy had other ideas. 

 "Every road from the rodeo leads right here," John nodded to Jimmy who was laying in bed with a neck brace, breathing tubes and a wrist brace. 

"What day is it?," Jimmy asked. 

"Well it's pay day for the hospital, they won the lottery with you," John chuckled, "Sweetheart what's wrong with him, besides being an idiot." 

Mae lightly swatted at her dad's arm before turning to the younger man: "Jimmy you got hurt real bad. You have a compression fracture in your neck and two in your back, bone fragments pressed against your spine, they had to figure out how to get that out, they had to replace your hip."