30

"So you're the youngest Dutton daughter I've heard so much about," a dark haired man, wearing a denim jacket walked up to Mae

"Can I help you?," Mae smiled as she looked up at the man from her clipboard. Liam was helping Cowboy out with their newest rescues and Avery was helping Charlie with a minor surgery so Mae manned the front desk.

"Oh there's a lot of ways you can help me, Gorgeous," he grinned as he tipped his light brown Cowboy hat at her.

Mae laughed softly before turning to face the man completely. He was handsome, brown hair, blue eyes, not unlike Ryan but he wasn't Ryan.

"Do I know you?," Mae asked.

"You could," Mae raised her eyebrow, wanting a real answer, "I'm working for the ski lodge. Herding their buffalo."

"Oh yeah, you're working with that ass hat, they hired to irritate my father with those buffalo so that they can run through our fence and destroy our cattle. Then when we put them down or move them, the resort can sue us as another measure to take our ranch."

"Just as smart as you are beautiful, damn they definitely were right when they talked about you," the guy grinned.

"Well I'm glad I'm meeting expectations but I still don't see a reason for you to be here," Mae replied as she stared him down.

"I was originally just coming down here for my own curiosity but now I'm thinking of asking you for a drink," he smirked.

"I'm flattered but I like my men like I like my news, real, and this piss poor attempt to get to my father through me is not going to get you anywhere. Besides I already have a man and if what he told me is true, then you two almost beat the shit out of each other yesterday. All because he did his job as livestock agent to ask you for your paperwork in regards to the buffalo."

The man's cocky smirk fell and he glared at the blonde: "Does your old man know that you're dating one of his wranglers?"

"Please, there is nothing that happens on our ranch that he doesn't know about. So yes, he does know and he supports it. Now can you please leave, you're making my clinic smell like buffalo."

The man stormed out of the clinic and slammed the doors on the way out. Mae smirked as she watched him leave. Whoever was telling him about her, sure as shit wasn't telling him everything because everyone knew that she was loyal to her dad above anything else.

Mae turned as her phone started ringing and answered it.

"This is Chief Rainwater, speaking, Miss Dutton. I need your help."

"Anything you need," Mae responded.

"I already talked to your brother, Kayce, there's a missing Indian girl and we're getting a search party together. I know that the people in this town value you a lot and it would surely help if you could gather a couple more volunteers."