47

Ryan stood in front of the building, pacing back and forth. He's debating with himself whether or not this was a good idea but he knew he had to. It wouldn't be right not to. 

"Fuck it," Ryan muttered before walking into the official government building. 

"Can I help you, Sir?" the secretary asked as she smiled at him. 

"Yeah, uh, I need to talk Jamie." 

"Do you have an appointment?" she asked. 

"Well, no but does he have a moment to talk?" Ryan asked. 

"He's not in yet-," Right at that moment Jamie walked into the room and was about to head into his office. 

"We need to talk, it's important," Ryan told him and moved to open Jamie's office door for him. 

"I don't have a lot of time," Jamie told him, he was slightly shocked to see Ryan there so early in the morning. 

"This is not going to take long," Ryan told him and nodded towards the office, indicating for Jamie to walk in. The suited man sighed but complied as he walked into his office. Ryan smiled and tipped his hat at the secretary before closing the door behind him. 

"What the hell is this?" Jamie asked as he threw his briefcase onto his table. 

"You can drop the hostile act. I'm not here to shout at you or beat the crap out of you for making Mae cry, even though I should-" Ryan's words were cut off by Jamie, "Why is it always about her? She said just as fucked up things to me as I said to her." 

"Because you're not the one that has been kidnapped time and time again, you're not the one that was raped more times than any of us can even think of, you're not the one that was physically and psychologically tortured by her psychotic fucking ex! You've had a shitty life, guess what? It's not nearly as bad as hers. She's hurting, she's probably going to be hurting for the rest of her life. It's not your fault and it's not her fault but she expected her big brother to be there for her. She loves you, she will always love you. She spent hours crying in my arms about how much she regretted what happened between you two. So yes, she might have overreacted and said some fucked up things but after all she's been through, we can fucking excuse that. You were the one that should have handled the situation more carefully," Ryan sighed as he took his hat off of his head and ran his hand through his hair. 

Jamie stared at his desk, he could understand Ryan's point of view and he knew that he had a point but Jamie was still hurt. Mae's words cut deep but he knew that his own cut just as deep to her. He wanted to stay mad at her but she was his little sister, maybe not by blood but by love and experience. 

"You're right," Jamie sighed. 

"That's not even why I'm here. I didn't want to lose my temper like that," Ryan sighed. 

"I needed to hear that. I took my anger out on her when she wasn't the one that deserved it," Jamie replied, "What are you here for?" 

"Mae and I are going away for the weekend. I'm going to ask her to marry me," Ryan told him, "I want to ask you for your blessing. I already asked John, Beth, Kayce, Rip and Travis. You and Mae might not be on the best of terms right now but she loves you and your blessing would mean a lot to her." 

Jamie stared at Ryan in shock, "You have it. Thank you for asking me." 

"Really?" Ryan asked in slight surprise. 

"You're good for her. You've always been. I don't think she would have been able to make it through the last few years without you. You have my blessing because you've always been there for her. She's always been your number one priority. She deserves someone to be there for her and she loves you so you have my blessing," Jamie assured him.