7

"Auntie Mae!" 

Mae rushed towards the little boy and lifted him into her arms. She gave a small smile to Tate's other grandpa and uncle, who he was with.  The little boy clung to her as he buried his head in her neck, she could feel the tears start to fall from the little boy.  Mae lightly swayed with him in her arms and rubbed his back in an attempt to comfort him. 

"What's going to happen to my Momma, Auntie Mae?" 

Mae moved to sit in one of the hospital chairs, placing Tate in her lap. She took his face in her hands and started wiping the tears from his eyes. 

"Tate your Mommy hit her head very hard three times. The doctors are going to do some tests to make sure that her brain didn't get hurt. After all the tests have been done, they'll know where your mommy has been hurt and they'll be able to treat it."

"Like when you gave me my stitches?" 

"Exactly, we treat bad cuts with stitches and just like that every other injury or illness has their own treatment. The doctors do the test so they can find out how to help patients like your mom." 

The little boy sniffed and said:" Like when you helped Mr. Jimmy and you pressed on his chest to make sure nothing was broken?" 

"Yeah, bud, just like that." 

"Wh-why can't I be there with Mommy?" 

"They have so many doctors and nurses in there to help your mom, they don't even have a corner open to fit you in. Would you rather be in there yourself and take someone's place that can help your mom or be out here, so that everyone helping your mom can be in there?"

"Out here," the little kid released an unhappy sigh, all he wanted was to be back home with his mom and dad. 

Monica's father and brother watched as the girl was able to calm the child. They've been trying for the last hour without any success. Mae gently swayed him in her arms, his eyes drooping as he rested his head in her neck. They could hear her softly singing to him, it wasn't long before the little boy fell asleep in her arms. 

Kayce walked out of the room the hospital had set up for Monica, he was busy speaking with one of the doctor's about the next few tests that needed to be run. His eyes caught his son sleeping soundly in his baby sister's arms. Mae saw her brother walking towards them and placed Tate on the chair with a pillow under his head and blanket wrapped around him. 

"Thank you for coming and bringing Tate some clothes," Kayce stated as he stood before her. He called her on instinct and asked her to bring Tate the clothes he left on the ranch. Now with her in front of him, he felt awkward, he wanted to hug her but he didn't know if she'd allow him. 

"Anytime, I also brought some of your old clothes and I brought Monica some of mine, the sweats might be a little short on her but they'll still be comfortable. I put in some hygiene products you might need, some blankets and pillows. I figured you didn't have dinner yet so I got Gator to make some sandwiches and I put some cookies, juices and water in here too. Anything else you want me to get? Most of the places in town are closed now but I can try and call-" Kayce interrupted Mae's nervous rambling by wrapping his arms around her. Mae's eyes widened in shock, she's not been in her big brothers' arms in years, and she missed it. She knew he needed this hug right now, that's why she pulled him tighter to her and kissed his cheek. 

"She's going to be okay, Kayce."

"Thank you for everything." 

"Anytime, do you need anything else? Should I take Tate with me?"

"No, no this is more than enough. Monica's dad is going to stay here with us to help keep an eye on him. We both need to be here and you've got that dinner thing for dad tomorrow."