14

It's been a few days since Kayce took over as ranch foreman and John has never gone this long without Mae speaking to him, Kayce on the other hand was used to this kind of treatment from his sister but this time felt worse than the last, maybe it'...

It's been a few days since Kayce took over as ranch foreman and John has never gone this long without Mae speaking to him, Kayce on the other hand was used to this kind of treatment from his sister but this time felt worse than the last, maybe it's because they're so close in proximity now. Every morning before John wakes up, she already fed her dogs and was out of the house and she only came back after he'd fallen asleep. He tried to stay up and wait for her but somehow she always knew and just slept in the bunkhouse. John had to admit what hurt the most was the warm tee she left him every morning with his pills and paper. He hated this silent treatment from her and he knew he had to explain himself. He had to tell her that Kayce asked him for a chance to earn this ranch, he wanted to leave something for Tate, and John understood that. He understood that better than anyone and even if he knew that Kayce will never feel at home on this ranch, that he'll never be the heir that this ranch needs, he was willing to let him try. Kayce needed this, even if it was just until he realised that he belonged with Monica and Tate, in their own home.

He hated the cold shoulder from Mae and he knew Kayce did too, that's why they stood on the hill looking down at her, having fun with the wranglers and Travis. Travis came to visit since Charlie's due date got closer and closer. Beth informed the Dutton men that there will be a baby shower/ gender and name reveal party, hosted by Mae and Liam. Attendance and gifts were mandatory. John knew he had to fix this problem with Mae before the party, she would strangle them all if they ruined Charlie's day.

"You want them in pasture twelve?," Kayce asked as they watched Mae and Travis having a mini cutting competition with Jake and Ethan. Her laugh drifted through the air towards them, they weren't sure why she laughed but it looked like Ryan and Colby were making fun of Ethan and Jake for losing to Mae and Travis.

"That's what I was thinking. Where do you want them?," John asked.

"There's no hot wire around the river. We can leave them there a month or so but then they might cross and who knows where they might go. Pasture nine has a creek and a fence all around it. We can leave them there 'till November," John nodded at Kayce's suggestion.

"Nine it is."

"You never wanted them in twelve, did you?," Kayce knew is father was testing him.

"Well the whole world's a test, Son, don't ever let it trick you into thinking different. "

"You should meet me at the Livestock Association Office once you start getting them moving."

"Oh no, I should help them push them out," John chuckled at Kayce's protest. If he wanted to own the biggest ranch in Montana one day, then he's going to have to be able to handle the politics as well. John knew that, that was going to be the downfall in Kayce's plan. He was a damn good cowboy, a fucking great navy seal and will do just fine as a livestock agent, maybe even the livestock commissioner but he would never even remotely be a politician.