15

Mae had just woken up, ready to go to work, she already fed Archie and Willow

Mae had just woken up, ready to go to work, she already fed Archie and Willow. Willow's leg had healed nicely and she's already good as new. Gus preferred to sleep in and get fed by either Gator or Charlie later in the morning. 

"Are you sure I shouldn't come in with you?," Charlie asked as she sipped at her herbal tea. 

"Charlie, you can pop any day now, I really don't think it's a good idea."

"Good idea or not, today it might just happen," Mae and Charlie turned to see Ryan in the kitchen. 

"What's wrong?," Mae could see the worry in his eyes. 

"We need you up at pasture nine. Rip called, something happened, we need to see if we can save some of the cattle," Mae and Charlie's eyes widened, that did not sound good. 

"I'll grab my go bag," Mae rushed up the stairs to her room. 

"I'll go in to the clinic today, at least until she can get back."

"Let Jake take you, please. I don't want my ass skinned by every Dutton for letting you behind a steering wheel," Charlie laughed at Ryan's words but nodded. 

Mae came rushing back down and Ryan took her bag from her. 

"Will you be able to handle the clinic?," Mae asked staring at her best friend in concern. 

"I'll be fine, besides I'm taking Jake with me."

Mae nodded and greeted her before following Ryan to one of the four-wheelers. She wrapped her arms around him before they took off. She saw the rest of the wranglers tacking up their horses to follow. 

xxx

"Fuck," Mae whispered as she stared out at the field. One entire herd were struggling to stay alive as they lay on the ground bloated. She knew immediately that it had to have been alfalfa but she couldn't think of how it got onto their land. They burned every trace of alfalfa they found a long time ago, because it bloats and kills cattle. 

Once they pulled to a stop, Mae saw Rip, Kayce and Jimmy waiting. 

"Okay listen up, I need you all to start walking between them, if you see one breathing we can still save them, just call me," Mae explained. 

"Mae, we can't possibly get to all of the-", Mae interrupted Kayce. 

"Well we can't just let them go! Do you even know how much they are suffering? We can help them!"

She turned on her heal and started walking between the cattle trying to see how many she can save. When the rest of the wranglers showed up she gave them the exact same order. Mae showed the wranglers how to relieve the cattle of their gas from the first one she found that was still alive. With the help of the wranglers, they managed to save thirty cattle, unfortunately over a hundred still didn't make it.