42

"Morning Chubby," Mae smiled as she walked to the bunkhouse to see the little brown-haired boy that Beth had basically adopted

"You're the only one that calls me that," the little boy chuckled. 

"Well, I like it, it's cute," Mae shrugged, "Besides you're basically family." 

"No, I'm not. They're going to kick me out one of these days," he sniffled as he looked down. 

"Why would you say that?" 

"I made her mad even your dad said it was only a matter of time," he wiped at his eyes. 

Mae laughed softly at him, "Kid if my sister were going to kick you off of this ranch, you wouldn't have been here long enough for my dad to know your name." 

"So you think that they decided to keep me?" the boy asked as he looked up at her. 

"I know so but just so we're clear, if you want your life to become easier on this ranch then get back in her good books. She can hold one hell of a grudge but at least you know why the hell she's pissed at you, that's more than most of us can say," Mae sighed. 

"She's mad at you too?" the boy asked as he stared up at Mae. 

"Unfortunately." 

"What did you do?" the boy asked. 

"If I knew I would already be back in her good books," Mae scoffed. 

The boy looked like he wasn't even listening to her, his thoughts were on something else entirely, "I can't believe they decided to keep me." 

"I'm going to be honest with you kid, it was a ballsy fucking move you pulled but you couldn't have pulled it with better people. It's not going to be easy, trust me, neither of them are easy people but it'll be worth it. If you have Beth and Rip in your corner, especially as parents, then they'll burn the world down to keep you safe but afterward, they'll make you sweep up the ashes to teach you what it means to be a good, hard-working man. So tighten your belt kid, 'cause you're in for a wild ride." 

The boy stared up at Mae in wonder as she started walking past him but she stopped in her tracks and turned back to him, "Oh, and welcome to the family." 

Mae continued her way to the bunkhouse to check on Lloyd and Walker. Rip had them beat the hell out of each other to teach the other wranglers a lesson and when Lloyd won, Rip beat the shit out of him himself. 

"Morning boys," Mae called out as she walked into the bunkhouse to see Lloyd and Walker. The others were already working on the ranch but Rip gave them the day off to lick their wounds and besides Travis was here to help. 

"Morning Little Mae," Lloyd called from where he was sitting at the table, drinking his coffee. 

"Morning, Doc," Walker greeted from where he was sitting on his bed.