39

Mae took a deep breath as she stood in front of her clinic

Mae took a deep breath as she stood in front of her clinic. Flashbacks of all the attacks and kidnappings kept flickering in her mind and she could feel her breathing quicken. She thought she was ready, she had to be ready. Charlie took Gator down to Texas with Evie so that they could meet each other's families. Mae knew the two needed this, they needed this break but that meant Mae had to go to the clinic. Charlie was hesitant because of everything that Mae went through but she assured her that she would be fine, she thought that she would be fine until right at this moment. This was the one place that she always felt safe in, the one place that she always felt in control but now it scared her to death. 

"You don't have to do this," Ryan told her from where he was standing next to her. He had to go into town to pick up some things for the bunkhouse and decided to tag along to drop her off at the clinic for her first day back. 

"No, I have to," Mae sighed, "Not only are the people of the valley counting on me, but Liam, Avery, and Cowboys paychecks also depend on this clinic. It's been closed enough already." 

"After everything you've been through nobody would blame you if you're not ready to go back yet," Ryan assured. 

"I have to do this now or I might never get the courage again," Mae explained as she stared up at the building that she poured her heart and soul into. 

"Well then if we're going to do this, then we're going to do this the right way," Ryan told her with a mischievous smirk on her face. 

"What do you mean?" Mae asked confused and Ryan grinned as he reached out and picked her up bridal style before walking to the clinic. 

"Isn't this for after the wedding?" Mae laughed at the wrangler. 

"Oh we'll get to that," Ryan assured and Mae's face became hot as he winked down at her. 

He opened the door and carried her into the clinic. 

"Surprise!" Mae laughed as she saw Liam, Avery, and Cowboy with cake, party hats, and streamers. Ryan put her down and she was immediately picked up into a hug by Liam. 

"I missed you! Never leave me again bitch," He squeezed her tighter and Mae hugged back just as tight, she missed him so much. 

"We want to greet her too!" Avery called out. 

"Wait your turn newbies," Liam called back and Mae laughed as she pulled back from him. 

"I missed you too." 

She then moved and greeted both Avery and Cowboy before walking over to the cake. It was a chocolate cake and on top were the words 'Welcome back Boss'. 

"I love it and I love all of you," she smiled at her co-workers. 

"We love you too." 

Mae smiled up at Ryan as he held out a piece of the cake for her to bite.