23

Rip and Beth woke up to hearing scratches and wines at their door

"What the fuck is that?," Beth grumbled as sat up. 

"I think I have an idea," Rip mumbled as he moved Beth over and sat up from the couch, groaning as he stretched his back muscles. He walked over to the door and opened it Archie, Willow and Gus raced through the door and into the bedroom. They could hear the dogs getting comfortable on their bed. 

"Of- fucking- course, she can barely piss without those dogs being right by the damn door," Beth grumbled as she wiped at her eyes. 

"Go back to sleep, I've got to get ready and you don't have to be up for another couple of hours," Rip kissed her head. 

"Well then I'm not sleeping on the couch alone," Beth said as she kissed his cheek before getting up and walking to the bedroom. Rip could hear her whisper fighting with Archie and Willow for a place on the bed and couldn't stop himself from chuckling as he made himself some coffee. 

Beth got in next to her sister after getting Archie and Willow to sleep on the ground, Gus was already sleeping soundly in Mae's neck. She sighed as she reached over and tucked her sister's hair behind her ear. 

"Why you? Why the epitome of sunshine?," Beth muttered as she felt tears well in her eyes. She rarely cried but her little sister always held a big part in her clod little black heart. She was more like Mae's mother growing up and knowing what had happened was not even half as bad as seeing he after effects. 

As if, even unconscious, Mae still wanted to comfort people she shifted closer to Beth. Beth wrapped her arms around her sister and closed her eyes, she was just going to  sleep, knowing her sister's safe in her arms. 

xxx

A couple hours later the sisters woke up to the smell of bacon and eggs cooking. Mae, who hasn't eaten in a while, could feel her stomach rumbling. She opened her eyes and smiled as she saw her big sister. 

"Sorry for taking your bed last night," Mae smiled sheepishly as she sat up. 

"It's not like you were the only one," Beth grumbled as she gestured to Willow, Archie and Gus all on the bed somehow. Mae giggled and the dogs immediately moved over to her, each one trying to get her attention. 

"Morning babies," Mae greeted all of them as she scratched behind their ears. 

"Lets go get some breakfast, you have all day to play with them," Beth didn't want to comment on the fact that she hasn't seen her sister smile since that day, she didn't want to comment on the fact that these dogs haven't been as energetic since then either and how they all seem somehow alright at the moment. 

The two women and three dogs walked into the kitchen to see Rip making breakfast. He came back after finishing most of the early morning work to make sure that the girls eat, he'd go back out afterwards to join the other wranglers up at one of the pastures and to make sure that Ryan didn't pass out on them. As much as he knew Mae hasn't been sleeping, he knew Ryan hasn't been either. Since what happened to Mae, he had been the first one to wake up and the last one to go to sleep and according to Lloyd he's barely been eating, just surviving.