27

Mae woke up the next morning curled up against Ryan. Her head rested on his bare chest as it raised with his breathing.

"Morning, Darlin'," Ryan whispered as he greeted her.

"Morning," she smiled as she looked up to see him smiling down at her.

"You look happy this morning," Ryan noted as he saw her smile.

"I am, I'm very happy to be here with you," Mae reached up and kissed his lips.

"I wouldn't want to be here with anyone else," Ryan grinned as he started placing kisses along her neck.

"So no barrel racer on your horizons, huh?," Mae teased as she let him continue his loving attack on her neck.

"Nope," kiss, "just," kiss, "you," kiss.

"And I wouldn't want it any other way," Ryan grinned as he kissed her again.

"So Monica asked me something yesterday and it got me thinking," Mae started and Ryan pulled away to look at her, "So obviously what I'm about to ask is not now but in the future and that's even if you would want, I mean I definitely do but you've never-"

"Darlin' you're rambling."

"Yeah I'm sorry, okay so she asked me if I ever thought of kids and I was wondering if you have ever thought about it?"

Ryan looked at the woman that was still laying on his chest but looking anywhere except at him. He smiled softly as he took his hand and held onto her chin to make her look at him.

"Like you said, in the future, I would like to have a couple of kids but I would love to marry you and to have kids with you."

"Really?," she smiled.

"Definitely, you're it for me Darlin'."

"You're it for me too, Cowboy, that's why I need to tell you something."

"Go on," Ryan urged as he brushed some of her hair back.

"If we're going to work then I believe in a hundred percent honesty and communication from both sides, and I hope you do too?"

"My grandparents taught me that communication is key to a healthy relationship so yes I agree."

"Well, you know that um that company that's trying to build the ski resort?," Ryan nodded, "Well they are kind of here because of my ex and he's here too."

Ryan tensed, his arms tightened around Mae before he asked: "The ex that almost killed you? That ex?"

"Yeah," Mae whispered and Ryan released her as he sat up and rubbed his face.

"I don't want you to go anywhere alone. I've already almost lost you twice now and I can't lose you. The stories you've told me, tells me enough, he's a fucking psycho. I don't know what he'd do to you if he got you alone so promise me that you'll always have someone with you, even if I have to drive you to work and back myself," while talking Ryan grabbed her hands in his.

"I'll promise to try and stick around people but I can't promise never to be alone, you know I can't control that. I will however also promise to keep my phone on me and charged."

Ryan sighed, he knew that he couldn't keep her locked up on this ranch and he knew that he couldn't guarantee her safety off of it. This whole situation didn't sit right with him.

"I don't like this," Ryan told her as he shook his head, "Why now? Why all these years later?"

"I don't know," she replied," And I hate it. I thought I left him in the past, I really did but now he's back and he's trying to take away my happiness again."