50

Mae knocked on her dad's dressing room and walked in just as Beth walked out

"Bring me a drink would you?" John called after her. 

"After your speech, I'll pour you a double," Beth promised before winking at her baby sister and leaving the room. 

"Well it's a good thing I came prepared," Mae grinned as she flashed her flask and John couldn't help the laugh that escaped his lips. 

"Just like your mother," he chuckled as Mae handed it to him. 

"How are you feeling, Daddy?" Mae asked as she stepped beside him and placed her hand on his shoulder. 

"I don't even fucking know, Sweetheart," John sighed, "This is not me. I'm not fucking made for this. I'm not some politician, I'm a ranch owner." 

"A ranch owner, a cowboy, a dad, and a grandpa but above all you're a Dutton, and Dutton's are what they have to be to survive. You can do this, Daddy. We're always going to be with you," Mae assured him. 

John nodded as he stood up, "You're going to have to promise me something." 

"Anything," Mae agreed. 

"Promise me that you're going to keep the ranch in check, keep it running smoothly while I'm busy with all of this bullshit," John urged and Mae smiled at him. 

"Of course I will. It's my home, I won't let anyone take it from us," Mae told him and he nodded. 

"I know you won't, Sweetheart," John stepped towards her and placed a kiss on the side of her head. Beth opened the door and told them that it was time for John to do his first speech as the new Governor of Montana. John kept an arm wrapped around Mae's shoulders as the two left the room, flanked by police and state officials. 

Beth walked on the other side of John as she instructed him on his speech, "Short, sweet and to the point. Less than two minutes. Then the whole thing is a sound bite." 

"I think he's mastered the art of not wearing out his welcome," the previous Governor stated from where she walking behind the Dutton family. 

"I'll speak, then introduce you," John told her. 

"Well you know there's two Senators but there's only one Governor," she reminded him. 

"Then we'll do it together," John told her. 

"It shows unity and will inspire hope in the people for the future but be prepared to do most of the speaking Lynelle," Mae grinned as John playfully rolled his eyes at her. 

"Hey!" A familiar voice called as he rushed over to walk beside Mae. John immediately moved his youngest to walk between him and Beth, to keep a distance between her and Jamie. Mae sent Jamie a small smile, they hadn't talked but neither of them had been as hostile as they had been before. Mae mentally kicked herself for not speaking to him sooner but with John's campaign, wedding planning, the clinic, and Monica's pregnancy these last couple of months just flew past without any of them having time to catch their breaths.