21

Warning!! There are explicit mentions of sexual and physical assault in this chapter

"Miss Mae," Mae looked up from the Jeep. She was heading into town to ask some of her contacts if they've seen Tate or heard of anything strange. She couldn't sit back and do nothing, not when Tate's life is on the line. She didn't tell anyone her plan, especially not John, Rip, Ryan or Charlie. They would have forced her to stay. She knew that in the meeting her dad wants to have with her and her siblings, he'd make her sit back and do nothing. She wasn't going to do that.

"Morning Cowboy, how can I help you?"

"I just came to say goodbye, a good cowboy knows when it's time to leave an operation but I couldn't without greeting you." 

"Hop in. I'll drop you off in town at the bus stop," Mae smiled sadly. 

"Always such a kind soul," Cowboy smiled as he climbed into the Jeep with her. 

"So Yellowstone isn't for you anymore , huh?"

"I'm not as young as I once was Miss Mae and in order to be of any help or even to survive on this operation, I would need to be able to shave off some twenty odd years."

"I'm going to miss you, you know? I didn't think that I would ever see you again after Texas but somehow our paths crossed and I couldn't be more thankful. You saved my life back then and I never got to thank you properly so I hope you'd still be willing to accept one," Mae smiled sadly at the old man. She didn't want him to go but she knew, just like he now knew that Yellowstone wasn't for the faint of heart. 

"No apology needed, Miss Mae. I can now see why you are as strong as you are. Anybody who grew up on that operation needed to be. It tests you every single day, trying to break you. I just hope that you never break." 

"It does feel like that sometimes but in the end it always will be ho-," before Mae could finish her sentence a loud crash was heard as they were run off the road. Mae screamed and tried to get back control of the car but it was no use, it landed on it's head, in one of her father's fields. 

She could make out men shouting at each other and a gunshot going off but her ears were ringing and vision blurry from the crash. Hands grabbed at her and she weakly tried to fight them off. 

A sinister laugh cut through the ringing in Mae's ears, one she knows well enough by now, Malcolm Beck. 

"Now we've got both of John's most prized possessions. Take her to the house, let the boys blow off some steam with her but don't let them hurt her too much. We already called him and he's coming down to claim her. It's going to be real entertaining when they reunite, she thought she could get away from him but that sick son of a bitch always gets what he wants and he's been fucking obsessing over her for years." 

 xxx

John asked all of his children to meet him in his office to discuss their next move. He noticed all of them there except for his youngest.