51

Mae drove up to Kayce's house to see Tate and Kayce stood by Kayce's truck

Mae drove up to Kayce's house to see Tate and Kayce stood by Kayce's truck. Tate had his school bag over his shoulder as he smiled at his aunt's Jeep. 

"Morning boys," Mae grinned as she jumped out of the car. 

"Morning Aunt Mae," Tate walked up and wrapped his arms around her. Mae smiled as she kissed his head before turning to greet Kayce and Tate went over to put his school bag in her Jeep. 

"Thank you," Kayce told her as he nodded towards Tate. 

"Anytime, big brother," Mae assured him before turning the conversation, "How is she?" 

Kayce sighed as he stared up at the house that Monica was in, "She's struggling right now. They both are." 

"And you?" Mae asked him. 

"About the same," Kayce replied, "Just more worried about them." 

"It's going to take some time, Kayce but your family's strong. You're all going to survive," Mae hugged him again before walking to the Jeep. Kayce would have dropped him off at school but didn't want to leave Monica alone and Mae understood that so she offered to take him. 

"You ready, Tater tot?" Mae asked as she watched Tate hug his dad goodbye. 

"Who's ever ready to go to school," Tate grumbled as he walked back to the Jeep. 

"How about some McDonalds?" Mae offered. 

"Hey! No, you just ate," Kayce called as he shook his head at Tate and Mae. 

"I'm a growing boy," Tate defended. 

"Besides I haven't gotten a chance to spoil him in a while," Mae added and Tate shot his dad a grin at Mae's words. Kayce just smiled and shook his head at the duo. 

The two got in the car and were already on the road to town when Tate asked, "So, this Mcdonald's breakfast. Does it come with a chocolate shake?" 

"Obviously," Mae replied as she reached out and messed up Tate's hair. The boy groaned and pulled away from her as he tried to fix it. 

xxx

After dropping Tate off at school Mae was about to head to the clinic when she got a call from Rip. 

"Hey, Cub, the kid hurt his arm. We think it might be broken." 

"Shit, just get him to the clinic. I can't do shit up at the ranch," Mae replied and Rip told her that Lloyd would bring him in sometime during the day. 

Mae walked into the clinic and greeted everyone.

"Back officially, Boss?" Liam asked as he slung his arm over her shoulder. 

"Finally," Mae sighed with a smile, "If I have to stare at another politician's face, I'll start throwing punches." 

"Amen to that. They're just a bunch of false promises wrapped in glittery bows," Cowboy grumbled from his spot next to the counter as he flipped through some of the adoption files.