38

John Dutton sat in his living room, sipping his drink as he waited for Kayce's call. John, Kayce, Rip, and even Ryan planned this night out to a T. There are still too many of Roarke's lackeys out there, too many people who could still come after them. Kayce got the warrant from Jamie and along with the police and livestock agents, they were going to take out every single one of them.

Beth's sleeping in the foreman's cabin, Monica and Tate are visiting her parents and Charlie and Evie are spending some time with Travis before he leaves for Texas. Only John and Mae were in the house and she was asleep in her room.

John has been going to bed later at night than usual, he just wanted to be sure that Mae was safe and okay. Ryan's been doing an exceptional job at taking care of Mae through her night terrors, most nights the rest of the house aren't even aware that she's having them. John knew she was only that quiet because she felt safe with Ryan next to her but he had a bad feeling about tonight. Ryan wasn't there and she was aware of the violence happening in the valley during that night. He just knew that he had to trust his gut.

John shot up in his chair as terrified screams and shouts echoed throughout the house. He could hear the distress in his baby's voice and rushed up the stairs as fast as he could. He walked into her room to see her eyes closed but she was twisting, crying, and screaming. Fighting against someone.

"No! Please, stop! I-I can't- Please, no more! Ryan! Rip! Daddy! Someone, help! Please!"

John rushed towards her and started gently shaking her shoulders, "Sweetheart, wake up. Mae, wake up! You need to wake up."

He watched as her eyes shot open and she looked around the room panicked and completely terrified. He took her face in his hands and brushed away her tears, "You're okay. You're safe. I'm here, Sweetheart."

"I-I'm sorry if I uh if I woke you," Mae sniffled as she moved to sit up. Her entire body was shaking and stray tears were leaking out of her eyes.

"You didn't wake me, Sweetheart, don't worry about that," John assured as he watched her nod and hold her face in her hands.

"What was it about?" John asked. She's been through so much trauma, he couldn't be sure which incident this was.

"Roarke," Mae sniffled.

"He's gone, he can't hurt you anymore," John tried to reassure her.

"Not physically but he's always here. He's always here, just waiting for me to go to sleep," Mae whispered.

"Someday he won't be here anymore, someday you'll be able to sleep peacefully and until that day comes, I'll always be here for you," John took her into his arms and allowed her to cry into his chest.

"I-I thought you were dead, for two months. He made me believe that you all had been killed. He made me believe that he was the only person I had left. I can't even say what's real or not anymore, sometimes I think my dreams are real. They feel so real like I'm actually still in that cabin, and that these moments are the actual dreams that help me escape him for a couple of hours," Mae sobbed into his chest.

"This is real, I'm still here. I can promise you that it takes a lot more than some stuck-up brat and his friends to take me out. We're all here and we'll be here for whatever you need," John started rubbing her back in an effort to calm her down.

"I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, Sweetheart, more than you'll ever know."

John kissed her head before letting her go from the hug.

"Now do you think you can try to fall asleep again?" John asked and watched as fear raced back into her eyes and she shook her head in protest.

"Thought so. I'll go make us some hot cocoa and you pick a movie. Make sure none of them steal my spot," John pointed at Willow, Archie, and Gus who were watching the father and daughter from the other side of the bed.