12

The cowboys were all standing in front of the thicket, the cattle were hiding in

The cowboys were all standing in front of the thicket, the cattle were hiding in. Archie and Willow were standing between Rip and Ryan, ready for when they have to do their job. Mae threatened all of them that her babies better come back home safe. None of them wanted to see an angry Mae Dutton. 

Travis and Charlie showed up the day before and the girls' spent the entire day catching up. This time of year was Mae's busiest on the ranches, Charlie knew this and came back just in time to help. Charlie and Liam will handle the veterinary with a few less experienced students, while Mae goes up to the ranches with the more experienced students. 

It was loud and crazy trying to get the cattle out of the thicket. Everyone was on edge, since it wasn't very safe, Kayce ran into the thicket alone afterwards to retrieve the single cow still in there. Archie and Willow were with him, trying to scare the cow out of the thicket when Willow got hurt. The cow shoved her into a tree and that made Archie really angry. He chased the cow out of the thicket with Kayce hot on his heels. The cowboys all gathered to move the cattle up to the main house when Archie started barking at Ryan. 

"What is it, boy?" Ryan's question got everyone's attention and they watched the interaction. Archie wined and ran to the edge of the thicket, the cowboys all watched as Willow limped out of the thicket. Ryan jumped down from his horse and jogged to get close to the two, he tried to see what could be wrong with Willow but there was no blood. She was having trouble walking on her right hind leg. 

"C'mon, we'll get you to your Momma, she'll make you better," Ryan picked Willow up, careful not to touch the right hind leg. 

"Mae's going to fucking kill us all," Colby groaned as he buried his face in his hands. The other cowboys made noises of agreement. 

"No, not us, Ryan. Good luck telling her, boy." The rest of the cowboys laughed as John left Ryan standing there shocked. 

"You wanted to date my sister," Kayce shrugged. 

"Your sacrifice is appreciated," Travis teased. 

"Don't antagonise him, he's already a dead man walking," Rip added and everyone laughed at his dismay. 

Ryan used Willow as an excuse to get back faster and he also wanted to get away from the teasing. Archie followed Ryan.

xxx

Mae was pissed to say the least. She knew it was part of their jobs, just like how any of the cowboys could get hurt, so could Archie and Willow. Everyone on this ranch has a job, except Gus, and unfortunately that included her other two babies. She knew them getting hurt wasn't anybody's fault but she couldn't help the anger and fear when Ryan showed up with Willow in his arms, the dog whining in pain. 

"What the fuck happened?!" 

"A stubborn cow stuck in the thicket, I'm sorry Darlin'." 

"Just bring her into the back," Ryan winced at Mae's anger but did as told. He followed her into the back of the big trucks she used during this time. It had all her medical supplies and equipment. She always had the motto to rather be overprepared, than under.