4

"Morning Daddy

"Morning Daddy." 

"Morning, Sweetheart. You joining us for the cattle drive this morning?" 

Mae sighed as she placed her foot on the wooden fence. She loved cattle drives, in school all the way to university, she would skip class to be right here on the ranch. There was nothing better for Mae than sitting on the back of the horse, guiding and taking care of the cattle, like a true cowgirl should. So it killed her that she couldn't be here today. 

"You know better than anyone, that there is nothing else I'd rather be doing but with Charlie not at the clinic, I have to be there." 

John reached over and kissed the side of his daughter's head, hugging her to him. He didn't want to comment on it too much. Lee and Mae were the two of his children that appreciated and loved the cowboy lifestyle the most. John knew that it was killing Mae not to be apart of this, especially since it was the first one after Lee's death. He also knew that she loved and cared too much for Charlie to ask her to help out in the clinic, not now when she was so vulnerable. It was going to be a tough day not having any of his children out there with him. He couldn't remember the last time Jamie took part in a cattle drive, probably before he went to Harvard, and Beth is still terrified of horses. 

"There'll be other cattle drives." 

"I know," Mae reached up and kissed his cheek, "Be careful out there, please?"

"I'm always careful, besides I'll be in the chopper today." 

Mae frowned, her dad loved being on a horse between the cattle, just like she did. He never flew in the chopper during a cattle drive. 

"Is everything alright, Daddy?" 

Mae might have not been home as much with her business taking off but even she could tell that some days he acted strange, she wrote it all off to Lee's death but maybe something else was going on. 

"Everything's fine, Sweetheart. I want to see how Rip leads them, especially with the new hand, Jimmy." 

Mae frowned, he wouldn't look her in the eye. Her dad's never lied to her face before and she didn't like it, not one bit. 

"Enjoy your day, Sweetheart. See you tonight," John walked away to get to his horse. 

Mae glared after him as she turned and walked towards Rip and Ryan. 

"Hey, Mae. You not joining us today?"

The wranglers were all used to Mae joining them for cattle drives, she was usually the first one up and ready. 

"I have to be at the clinic. Listen do me a favour, can you two keep an eye on my dad and not just today. If you see anything strange at anytime can you let me know?"

The two cowboys shared a concerned look. 

"Anything we should be worried about, cub?"

"I'm not sure yet."