54

"I have to go, Beth

"I have to go, Beth. I've got clients waiting on me at the clinic and I'm driving Charlie and I," Mae explained as she sat on the chair next to Beth. Beth decided it was a great idea if the sisters waited to confront their dad about their newest housemate. Mae has done a spectacular job of avoiding the girl and hasn't seen her yet. 

"There he is, just wait a bit," Beth waved her sister off. Mae sighed and continued throwing the ball for Willow and Archie while petting Gus who was cuddled on her lap. Archie raced back with the ball but Willow wagged her tail and stalked towards John. He bent down and scratched behind her ears before walking up the porch steps. 

 "Can we have a word?" Beth asked. 

"Gimme a minute," John replied as he walked towards the door. 

"Just one word," Beth offered. 

"Is this about Summer?" John asked, already irritated by the conversation. 

"When you say Summer, are you referring to the season or that hairy hippie giving syphilis to our sofa," Beth asked and Mae sighed, this wasn't going to go well. 

"Give me a minute," John repeated before walking into the house. 

"And you thought that, that was going to work, why?" Mae asked and Beth just shrugged. Mae stood up as Charlie walked out of the house. 

"You ready?" Charlie asked her best friend. 

"Almost, just have to talk to my dad," Mae told her and Charlie nodded. 

"Call me when you're done," Charlie smiled as she turned and walked in the direction of Gator walking around with Evie on his shoulders. 

John walked out and nodded, "Alright your turn, hit me." 

"I'm thinking about it," Beth replied and John sighed as he sat down. 

"I'm going to need a drink for this," the two poured themselves a drink while Mae declined. She had work to do. 

"So I just want to make sure that we're understanding the situation correctly, okay?" Beth gestured between herself and her sister, "You gave your girlfriend clemency?" 

"She's not my girlfriend and I did not give her clemency. I commuted her sentence. She finishes out under house arrest," John explained. 

"Your house?" Beth asked while Mae leaned against the pillar with her arms crossed. 

"Well, she doesn't have a house in Montana and I need her." 

Beth scoffed, "That hippie, she must be able to suck a marble through a soda straw." 

"Beth," Mae scolded before turning to their dad, "What she meant to say Daddy was that we don't know if we can trust her. Yes, Beth was wrong for getting her arrested but I mean she threw rocks at Kayce, probably helped close down hundreds of businesses like these, stuck her nose up to our traditions, and refused to try and understand our way of life. We support you in finding new relationships but this one doesn't make sense. Also, how does this make you look a Governor? Softening the sentence of a repeated offender, who assaulted your son because he was doing his job? None of this makes sense, Daddy, so can you explain your reasoning to us?"