45

Mae walked down the stairs of the house, Ryan was already up and working with the rest of the Wranglers

Mae walked down the stairs of the house, Ryan was already up and working with the rest of the Wranglers. Beth walked down the stairs and over to her sister. 

"Morning, Beth," Mae greeted as the two entered the kitchen. 

"You're always going to be there for Daddy and Rip, right?" Beth asked without greeting Mae back. 

"Yes, you know that. What's this about?" Mae asked as she stared at her sister. 

"Can you watch after the kid for me too?" Beth asked. 

"Beth, what the hell is going on?" Mae asked confused. 

"Just please," Beth asked and Mae nodded. The older sister walked over and wrapped her arms around Mae. 

"Beth, you're scaring me," Mae told her but she only tightened her hold on Mae. 

"I love you and am so proud of you, Baby sister. Always remember that," Beth told her. 

"I love you too," Mae told her. 

Beth pulled away from the hug and patted her sister's shoulder before leaving the house. Mae stared after her, confused and worried. Beth wasn't okay, there was something seriously wrong. 

"Morning, Sweetheart," John called as he entered the room. 

"Morning, Daddy. Is everything alright with Beth? Has she talked to you?" Mae asked him. 

"We had a fight last night but sorted it out this morning," John told her. 

"Fight?" Mae asked confused. She stayed in the bunkhouse last night because she got home late from hanging out with Kayce, Monica, and Tate. 

"She got Summer arrested," John told her. 

"What?" Mae asked confused. She didn't care about the hippie but she knew that her dad wanted them to leave her alone. 

"She got her to protest the airport with a bunch of other people and the news to cover it, physical assault on the officers," John explained and Mae ran her hands through her hair. 

"Daddy, this is bad. Beth works for Market Equities now, if they find out that she's conspiring to tear the company down from the inside out, she could be accused of Corporate Espionage. That's some serious jail time," Mae told him. 

John sighed as he ran his hand down his face, "Shit. We both know your sister, she can make a deal with the devil and still come out on top. If she's not worried, we don't have to be." 

"Dad, there's something off about her. She's worried, she's scared," Mae told him. 

"When your sister comes to us, we'll figure it out," John assured as he kissed her head. Mae nodded, she wasn't so sure Beth would be coming to visit them. 

"Are you not going to work today?" John asked. 

"Ryan made me promise to wait at least a week for the stitches to heal a bit more," Mae told him.