34

Mae smirked as she felt Ryan wrap his arms around her and kiss the side of her neck

Mae smirked as she felt Ryan wrap his arms around her and kiss the side of her neck. His arms were nestled under her shirt as he traced her sides with his thumbs.

"You're always so beautiful," he told her as he continued to place more and more kisses all over her. He had been extremely affectionate since he got back from the branding ceremony.

"What has gotten into you?," she laughed.

"It's just ever since that first attack I've felt like death has been haunting us and I want to spend every moment in blissful happiness with you that I can because I don't know when it will come knocking again," Ryan answered as he rested his head on her shoulder.

"Darkness has been looming over my family for years, Ryan. The stories I've read and heard about our ancestors like Elsa or Spencer Dutton, well they're bad enough to spread fear and admiration into even the toughest son of a bitch on this planet. I think it's one of the reasons why my dad refuses to give up this place, it would be an insult to their memory, to my mom's and to every other Dutton before and after us. I'm ready to fight for this place, even if I don't make it through to honour them, but I can't ask you to do the same."

"This place is your home, which makes it my home. I'm with you every step of the way and besides no cowboy worth his hat would go down without a fight," Ryan reassured her, "So how about another moment of blissful happiness before we go and face the day?"

Mae smirked as she turned around and jumped so her legs were wrapped around his waist and kissed him.

xxx

Mae and Ryan walked out of her room and down the stairs where they saw Tate playing with the puppy he rescued in front of Evie in her carrier. Gator was going into town today and was taking the little girl with him, he needed to stock up the fridge. Mae wasn't blind, she saw the looks Charlie and Gator had been giving each other and she wanted her best friend to be happy. Gator was a really good guy and he loved Evie. He was probably exactly what Charlie and Evie needed. That was why Mae switched Charlie's alarm for a later time and left her a note to tell her to spend the day with Evie and Gator in town and to not come into work or she would throw her with a shoe.

"Aunty Mae! Look at me!"

"That's so awesome, Tater-tot!"

Mae and Ryan watched as the young boy taught the puppy how to do some of the tricks Mae showed him with Willow and Archie. He was really getting the hang of it.

"You might be the next best up and coming dog trainer in the state of Montana," Ryan cheered the boy on and Mae felt her heart swell at the sight of Ryan with her nephew and niece. He walked over to Evie and handed her the baby rattle he spotted on the couch and the little girl excitedly started shaking it around.

"You're really good with them," Mae smiled as she walked over to sit beside him.

"I have no idea what I'm doing," he answered truthfully.