6

Mae, Liam, Charlie and Travis had breakfast together at the diner, it was an emotional start for all of them

Mae, Liam, Charlie and Travis had breakfast together at the diner, it was an emotional start for all of them. The three best friends cried as they embraced each other, not knowing when they will see each other again.

"Let us know what your parents say, even though I know that they'll be ecstatic."

"I will, I wish you could be there with me, like old times."

"You know I would have loved to be there with you."

The two girls hugged each other, trying to engrave the feeling into their minds.

"Would you do me a favour and find my future husband out there?"

The girls broke away laughing at their best friend.

"I'll send him your way if I find him, Lee."

"Good, I'm going to miss you like crazy Char."

"I'm going to miss you too, I'll see you soon."

Mae walked over to Travis as Liam and Charlie hugged their goodbyes.

"I know you will but I need to hear you say it, promise me that you'll look out for them both?"

"I promise," Travis kissed her head.

"I'm going to miss you too, Trav."

"You know I always miss you, Little bit."

The two hugged each other close, Travis kissing her forehead. They both knew that Charlie needed to be away from Montana but that meant being away from the support system of her two best friends. Travis knew that he will have to step up and try to fill that void but it would be almost impossible.

Mae and Liam side hugged each other and waved as they watched Charlie and Travis drive away. They both had tears falling from their eyes, Charlie waved back, her tears also falling.

"Tell me she's going to be okay?"

"She's Charlie fucking Wheatly, she's going to be just fine, you'll see Mae."

"C'mon, we still have work to do."

"Yeah, there's some people coming in to adopt."

"You already had the back-up checks run?"

"Obviously, who do you take me for?"

The two smiled, happy that they'd be able to find some innocent pets their forever homes. Mae had a few instances where someone adopted and in the end the pets were sent back in worse condition than when Mae found them, or they were never even found. She couldn't take it anymore and struck a deal with the local police station, the reservation police and the livestock association. Each time someone tries to adopt, thorough background checks will be run and they need to supply them with proof of residence as well as proof of income. There should be no evidence of animal abuse, negligence or endangerment. They should have a suitable home and a stable income to provide for all the animal's needs. It is an intense process but it also proves that these people who pass, genuinely wish to make an animal's life better.