Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Detective Carson's POV

The warm mug sat against my palms, my fingers gently tracing the designs around the handles. The hot tea harshly hits the back of my throat, causing my face to grimace. Morgan chuckles in front of me, glancing behind her to check on her sleeping brother.

"How's everything with your parents?" I ask at an attempt to make conversation. Her small smile falters, as she gently smooths out her hair.

"Christian hasn't been home in a while. I guess he's with her, or trying to get a new prescription for her medication. It's just been Mason and I for a bit." She looks down in her lap, and I can tell she blames herself for what happened.

I push the mug away from me, leaning forward over the table. "It's not your fault, I hope you know that." I say in a soft voice, searching her eyes.

She nods, smiling at me. "I know..I just wish I could've been here right after you know? To at least comfort him and everything."

"Aren't you doing that right now?" I ask, tilting my head to the side. I wanted to take her chin and turn it towards me myself, since she kept looking into her lap. I didn't act on it, and instead leaned back into my chair after clearing my throat.

"Morgan.." A groggy voice says just behind her. Mason is awake now, with his left arm aggressively rubbing his eyes. His eyes were puffy and one side of his hair was flat, with the other side sticking up.

She chuckled, excusing herself and quickly rushing over to her brother. I avert my gaze away from her behind, looking to the side as I take a sip of my tea. I lean back in my chair, rubbing my palms onto my thigh as I watch her very closely, her long legs making their way over to me.

"I should get going, I just came to check on you after all." I stand up, throwing my trench coat on.

Her hands are pressed together, her big eyes staring into mine. Her mouth is agape, her cheeks suddenly flushing. She begins to kick the ground with her feet. She purses her lips and forces a smile at me. "Okay, I'll walk you out."

I arch an eyebrow at her as she leads me to the front door. Without thinking, I place my hand on her lower back as I pass her, stepping into the door way.

A small gasp escapes her mouth, and she quickly shuts it. Her eyes captivate me under her long eyelashes, her eyebrows raised.

Her eyelashes are so fucking pretty.

I assumed I was staring too long when I saw her give me a look of expectancy. I then realized my hand was still placed onto her lower back. I quickly removed my hand and awkwardly placed it back at my sides.

"Don't be awkward." She huffs, crossing her arms.

I lifted my hand up, giving her small wave and muttering a quick 'bye' and heading to my car.

I shut the car door and bang my head repeatedly into my steering wheel.

I waved, fucking waved.

***
Just a little short chapter while I work on the next one :) l