Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Morgan's POV

It's been just a few days, almost a week since I first moved into Detective—..I mean Asher's house. He told me to start calling him by his first name, and even though it felt foreign and wrong at first, I grew to like the way his name rolled so easily off my tongue. He gave me my space and kept to himself most of the time, with his office being off limits.

I asked him about it earlier, and he told me he used it for "work stuff", but I could tell he was lying. I didn't push him further, especially since he had been kind giving me a place to stay and all.

I was currently driving back home-..I mean back to Asher's house with a medium load of groceries. I had picked up an application on the way out after learning they were looking for more employees. I took it upon myself to grab an application form, and was practically jumping for joy on the way out.

I felt myself growing eager to show Asher my efforts to get a job. He had been encouraging me to go out and get one. Well, he didn't exactly sound too encouraging when he did so. More..annoyed I would say.

He didn't like me sitting around at home all day, especially since he would be gone for long some days. I felt my heart almost warm when he notified me of his concern while he was out. I shook my head and pulled into his driveway.

As I was stumbling onto the stairs of his condo with loads of grocery bags hanging from my fingers, his front door swings open.

I get startled and stand still. Asher stands there with his eyes still puffy and pale from being asleep for too long. I forgot to mention that it was approximately 11:00 in the morning, and I had left with his car to restock on groceries as a thank you. I used my own card of course, but I did grab his car keys by the front door without asking.

I could feel the nerves in my stomach form into all kinds of knots when he stares into my eyes, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion. My breath hitched when I noticed he was in a wife beater, with sweatpants that hung so low you could see his slight v-line. His arms had tattoos scattered access his forearms, his biceps flexing as he brought his hand up to scratch his head. His glasses hung on the edge of his nose, and it was now that I just realized that he wore contacts most of the time he was out.

I forced my eyes back up to his face, keeping my mouth shut. My shoulders deflated in relief when I saw that he didn't notice me totally checking him out. 

"I..got groceries." I said, smiling sheepishly. I wanted to kick myself when I felt my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. I saw the amusement on his face quickly overlap his once confused expression.

"I can see that." He eyes me for a moment before lifting a hand. "Give that to me."

Without hesitation, I dropping the bags into hands and scurry inside with the rest of the load.

"Why did you touch my car?" He asked annoyingly, shutting the front door behind him with the back of his foot. The way his jawline gets sharper when he snaps almost puts me on edge.

I crinkle my nose in disgust with myself and shake the thought away immediately. I'm glad my back was turned to him. I turn around, sending him a small smile.

"I just wanted to do something nice, and you were already asleep by the time I woke up." I can tell he's waiting for more, by the way his pierced eyebrow arches at me.

"This is basically my thanks, for taking me in under such short notice." I open the fridge door and put my back against it to keep it open.

"Oh.." It's obvious that he didn't expect that answer to come from me by the way his eyebrows shoot up so quickly. He pushes his glasses up to his nose, leaning his hip against the island.

"Well..thanks." He sighs, biting his lip in thought.

He proceeded to help me with putting the groceries away and went back upstairs to shower. I was left alone for about 30 minutes before he came sauntering down the stairs.

I peered my head out the entry of the kitchen and watched as he just finished buttoning up his shirt. My eyes flickered down to his waist where his belt hung unbuckled. I felt my eyebrows raise, and for some reason I couldn't get enough.

His long but thick fingers tucked the hems of his shirt in, a low sigh escaping his throat. Once his head began lifting up, I instantly looked away.

I cursed myself for staring too long. I quickly picked up my small plate of apple slices when his footsteps begin nearing. I exhaled deeply, taking long strides across with kitchen with my nostrils flared once I heard him enter.

His dress shoes stopped abruptly near the fridge, causing me to fully turn around. I angled my head to the left innocently, eyeing the hint of suspicion on his face.

I slowly popped an apple slice into my mouth. "Is there a problem?"

"No." He stared at me under his hooded eyes before bending down sticking his head into the fridge. "Did you get yourself something to eat?"

"Yeah." I placed my elbows onto the island, staring at him as I spoke. "I got myself a job application at the grocery store. Just letting you know."

He stood up straight, turning to me with a bottle of water in his hand. "Oh? And what's the plan after you start working?"

"Well I want to keep working while I do some apartment hunting, save up and get myself out of your hair for good." I shrug, taking notice of the surprise on his face.

"Planning to leave so soon?" His tone is playful, but I can tell he's showing the slightest bit of disappointment.

I was quiet for a moment before answering under his hard stare. I began shifting uncomfortably and at some point looked away from him.

"I left home to get my shit together. That doesn't mean living under someone else's roof and doing nothing."

"There's no problem in that."

"At my age, yes it is. I want more than what I have now. Besides, I'll take up half your water bill."

"I don't mind."

My arms fall at my sides, and I squint my eyes. He's way too calm about this. "Really?"

"It's fine." He emphasizes, making his away towards the front door. He throws on his coat, still staring into my eyes as he does.

"Just do whatever you need to do, and leave when you can. I don't mind, Morgan." He grins as he says my name.

"Okay." I say softly, stuck in an unknown trance.

He lets me know that he won't be back home until late, and gently closes the door behind him.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, and stand in the kitchen alone, being drowned in a pool of thoughts.