Chapter 26

Chapter 26

Mason's POV

The police officer shuts the door behind him, placing my requested cup of water in front of me.

He glances at my broken arm and asks, "She got you pretty good. Wanna tell me what happened?"

My throat runs dry, and I refuse to make eye contact with him.

He pulls out the metal chair, and sits across of me. "It's just me here. They can't hear us. I need to know what happened, your mom is..too unfit to tell us."

I sigh, and lean forward to tell him what happened.

***
My gut instinct told me to wake up immediately, and I remember the sudden unknown feeling of fear washing over me. I felt the hairs on my neck stand up, listening closely to any noise outside of my room.

I had fallen asleep about an hour ago, after a long 2 hours of doing my homework. I had forgotten to stay goodnight to my mother, and last saw her doing her laundry quietly.

Scary quietly.

I was engulfed in sweat, and began shaking slightly. I was hot and confused. My mind wandered to the safety of Morgan for some reason, so I looked out to see if my father's car was here.

It was gone.

My sweaty fingers clutched onto the sheets as I tried to gain the courage to get up and check on my mother. My toes had reached the creaky, grey carpet, and I stood still immediately after hearing the sound of whimpering down the hall.

My eyebrows furrowed together, and I quickly opened the door, and took a glance down the hall.

I didn't move.

It was dark. Way too dark. There was usually a lamp on downstairs, to keep anyone from assuming the house was empty, just in case they would attempt a robbery. But it was pitch black.

My mind was playing tricks on me. I kept saying figures walk behind me, or random figures getting in my face.

My heart was practically beating outside of my chest. I was on the verge of crying from the amount of fear I felt.

"Morgan.." I whispered.

I felt like I was in a scene from a horror movie...I kept glancing behind myself even though the only room at the end of the hall was mine, and I would've known if someone was in there or not.

"Morgan.." I said a little louder.

I wished she was here, to protect me. Like she promises me all the time.

I was about to turn to my right, to exit the floor when I heard a rush of whispers and a knife being pulled from the knife rack.

I shook harder, and let out a whimper.

Silence.

I slammed my hand over my mouth and took a step back.

Fuck Fuck Fuck.

I heard footsteps scattering down the next hall, leaving me alone. I ran down the stairs and quickly turned on the light to the kitchen.

It was a wreck.

I'm pretty sure someone had broken in, and heard me coming down the stairs. I was still scared shitless, since I could feel a strange amount of sweat dripping down the back of my neck.

I noticed the back door was wide open, and I ran over to lock it and put down the blinds.

"Mom!" I yelled, my voice cracking. I started to panic, worrying for my mother. I checked the living room, and she wasn't there.

After quickly fixing up the kitchen, I leave the lamp in the corner of the dining room on, so the house wouldn't be as dark as it was.

As I was making my way towards the stairs, I grabbed a large knife, to protect myself just in case someone had broken in again.

I shut my bedroom door, the loud sound of my door slamming echoing through the hall. I place the knife on the floor next to my bed, where my head lays.

And I wait. And wait. And wait. Nothing happens.

Eventually I fall asleep, which was a big mistake.

"What happened?" The officer continues. He sounded desperate, and was annoyed from how long I was talking.

I grit my teeth. "I'm getting there."

I was awake, but my eyes were still closed. I could feel someone in the room. Someone right over me to be exact.

I pretended to be asleep, in hopes of them getting bored and leaving, but they wouldn't budge.

I gather up the courage to open my eyes, feeling my heart run out of my chest.

It was my mother, and she was staring right at me. Her wide eyes were red, in distress. With her eyebrows furrowed, and her chapped lips closed tightly, she whispers. "Who the hell are you?"

I'm sitting upright now, with my back against the wall. I feel like I can't breathe. I'm was so afraid she'd hurt me, so I hoped she didn't notice the knife right next to her.

"Leave my house, or I'll kill you." Her voice was laced with eery.

"M-Mom..it's me Mason." I whimper, my lips quivering.

I don't think I've ever been this scared. I regretted every moment leading up to this one. I wanted to die, just disappear. I would rather be dead than experience this amount of fear.

Before she could threaten me again, I tried to reach for the knife, but her skinny fingers wrapped around my forearm, twisting it in a way it was not meant to be twisted.

I screamed in pain, gripping the front of her shirt. "Mom! Stop!"

She got in my face, her murderous eyes staring into my soul. "I told you to leave."

She slams me back down onto my bed, grabbing the pillow I had just layed on, and shoved it onto my face. She was suffocating me, putting so much force into a small pillow.

My screams were muffled, and I tried to fight back, scratching at her arms. My right arm was aching in pain. So I used my left one to fight back.

It wasn't enough.

I was crying, screaming, and begging for someone to hear me.

I thought I was going to die. So I tried to prepare myself. My throat was in so much pain from screaming and whaling.

I shut my mouth, and let my arm ball back.

I tried to play dead. And it worked.

She slowly pulled the pillow off, and threw it on the ground. I could hear her insane panting, and her small feet headed towards the door.

That's when I opened my eyes, ran up behind her, and pushed her. Hard.

Her head slammed into the wall, knocking her down. There was a small knot beginning to form on her forehead.

She was unconscious.

I gasped, covering my mouth as a sob escaped me.

I looked around, unaware of what to do.

I saw the lights of a few houses in our neighborhood on, with people in their pj's murmuring and headed towards the house.

I ran down the stairs, swinging the door open, and called for help.

"That's why I was outside with Mrs. Maslowski when you guys brought my mother out." I said quietly.

I look up at the officer, noticing his face full of sorrow. He sends me a sympathetic smile, and nods.

"Thank you. A detective will be in here shortly for you to write your statement. Have a..." He stops himself.

"Stay safe kid." He sighs, shutting the door behind him.