Chapter 36

Chapter 36

Asher's POV

"Excuse me." I grunt, gently moving through the crowded living room that is my childhood house. I arrived to California yesterday afternoon and spent the rest of my day catching up on some sleep. I gave my mother a call before I drove to my house, which seemed to be packed with friends and relatives of my father.

I fidget with the cuff on my dress shirt, searching the house for my mother. I know Blake had already arrived yesterday morning by plane, which was bought by my mother.

I loved her dearly, of course, but it was true that she did have some favoritism when it came to her two sons. I had always been the one to talk back at her, yell, and disobey her completely. I didn't blame her for disliking me at all.

But when I was younger, I resented both her and my father for not making their relationship work. I despised my father for cheating on her and not trying harder to keep us in his life, as well as my mother for taking out her frustration on us.

Things changed when I grew older and got more mature and understanding. Although our fights did put some strains on our relationship, we are still cordial with each other.

I near the office that my father used to lock himself in all day, not even bothering to speak to his family. I stand near the door, gazing into the dark and empty office, reminiscing the first time I had caught him with another woman, at least the only woman that I knew of.

I woke up groggy from my short nap, looking around the living room in confusion. I had just spent a good 2 hours watching movies with my father, and I fell asleep in the process. I glanced at the electric clock that sat under the T.V. stand. it was past 9:30, and we were supposed to stop by Blake's soccer game to pick him up.

The living room was faintly dark, but the light from the front hallway kept it from being completely pitch black. I looked around the room for my dad, but found that he wasn't even here.

I sat up on the couch, calling out for my dad multiple times. He didn't answer. I began getting quite annoyed at the utter silence that engulfed me right as I woke up.

"Dad.." My 15 year old little voice echoed through the empty living room. I got a sudden text from my mother, telling me that she was on her way to pick me up.

I huffed, jumping off the couch and storming out into the hallway. The kitchen lights were still lit, as well as the front hallway.

"Oh my fucking god.." I whisper to myself in annoyance.

I hear the sound of objects clattering against each other, along with a faint giggle that belongs to a woman. A woman who is not my mother.

Somehow, it clicked immediately for me. I pushed that thought away, thinking that my dad wouldn't dare have another woman over as I was here. But I had to see it to believe it.

I turned the corner, stopping in my tracks as soon as I saw them.

His grimy hands on her behind, swallowing each other whole with their wet mouths, pressed against his desk. All dearest and genuine love I had for the dad decreased by a ton. I felt a grimace make its way onto my face, and before I knew it, I barged into the room.

They snapped their heads into my direction, eyes wide once I caught them. The woman's face eventually calmed down, but my father's didn't.

"Asher." He clears his throat, gently moving the woman aside. "You're awake."

I could barely form a sentence. I wanted to cry. "T-This is what you're doing? Instead of picking up Blake, this is what you're doing?"

"Please," He lifted his hands up as an attempt to calm me down. It didn't work.

My eyes widened as I began to connect the dots. "Oh..how didn't I get it any sooner?"

He tilted his head in confusion, but then realized what I meant.

"The late nights..your 'business trips'..you were seeing her?!" I shout, pointing at the woman.

"Hey, Asher don't be-" He reached forward to grab me, but I pulled away instantly. He flinched.

"You and mom didn't divorce because you fell out of love, you divorced because you cheated! You're a lying, rank, cheating pig!"

"Please." I can see him basically begging for me to hear him out as the woman behind him stares in horror.

"Mom's on her way to pick me up." I whimper, slowly backing away from him. "Don't call me ever again. I don't want to see you, ever again."

Once my mother picked me up we began arguing in front of Blake, and I ended up uttering some nasty words to my mother. I expressed my anger to her, screaming about how she had no right to hide such a thing from me, and that it should've been my decision whether or not I wanted to continue seeing my father.

I still ended up seeing him every weekend, but as the time went by, my visits grew scarce. A small part of me wishes I never caught him, so that I would be able to actually have a relationship with him. But another part of me is glad I discovered hat kind of person he was before it was too late. The type of person that cheats on his loving wife, and puts his affair partners before his children.

I lean my head back, blinking the tears away. I look away from the office and continue my way into the kitchen to find my mother.

Once I do, I try my best not to show my surprise at her now short golden blonde hair. She stands near Newton, who silently holds her close. There are a lot more relatives here as well, but I tune out their loud conversations as I struggle to get over to them.

My mom calls out to me when she notices me from the corner of her eye. "Asher!"

I smile in content when I hear the excitement in her voice. That's a first.

"Mom, hey." I say in a low voice as she engulfs me with a tight hug. I lock eyes with Newton, who nods his head in my direction, holding a glass of whiskey to his lips.

"How was the drive? I'm sorry I called so late." She whispers, pulling away.

"It was fine. I'm here now." I swallow hard, trying to ignore the heavy feeling that appears in my chest whenever I think of him too much.

The rest of my time there goes by so quickly, my fave growing blank after getting used to everyone sending their condolences to me. I find myself missing Morgan. Just the thought of her sitting in my condo, all alone makes me want to hop inside my car and drive 15 hours back home.

Just 2 more days left. 2 more days until I see that sweet smile that appears on her face whenever she sees me. 2 more days until I can finally see where I stand with her.

Finally.